Welcome to this Tree which I started so that all in the family who are interested could become more familiar with our roots and the branches of our family tree.
I'm known as Glen Hubert McKay but my ‘christened’ name is Hubert Glyn McKay which ‘we’ did not know until my late teens. Our one of a kind special Mom, Josephine McKay, who was 97 on April 11, 2013, says that the clergyman made a mistake on the birth certificate. C'est la vie!
I’ve been very interested in my ‘roots’ particularly since our Dad, Llewellyn McKay passed away in 1994. Some of the things that I learned around that time were startling but at the same time intriguing. After thinking about this for a long time I found the time late 2012 to start compiling this family tree.
Some of the information contained herein came from our Mom, Josephine McKay. A lot of it came from the Family Tree sites of other relatives far and wide. In many cases I had no or limited previous knowledge of them. Other info came through tedious research on the Internet. In the latter cases I've put links in the Biography section of each person. In some cases I've added ones related by marriage only such as Ruby Locke, (and her children), who was the second wife of Uncle Abner (Abby) Locke. His first wife was Dad's Aunt Elsie Mackey. Dad was very close to the Locke family even after Aunt Elsie passed away and Uncle Abby's second marriage. Uncle Abby's son Archie was a favorite to us all!
Although I've made reasonable efforts to confirm the accuracy of the information recorded herein there may be some errors. If you see anything that needs to be corrected please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you start browsing the site I want to mention a few things that may be of interest to you!
1. Mackey – Dad was christened Llewellyn Mackey, being adopted by his grand-parents Mackey, yet his children were all christened McKay. When, why or how that came about is an unanswered question. Interesting, Dad’s Uncle Walter Mackey christened his children as McKay also, i.e. Calvin George McKay. So was it a decision that the ‘family’ made many decades ago? Regardless of the answer it may not matter much. One source says "Mackey may be of either Irish or Scottish origin. Pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, it is Iriah, an anglicized form of the Gaelic O'Macdha, descendant of Macdha (a name meaning "virile" or "manly"). With the stress on the second syllable, it is a variant of the Scottish McKay." So far we've only traced the Mackey’s back to Dad’s great great grand-father. Research is ongoing.
2. Verge – I have been unable to find any official record of Dad’s father Clarence. In conversation with Dad's first cousin Ira Verge he said that he remembered a picture of his Uncle Clarence that was hanging in the Harry's Harbour family home which was destroyed by fire in the 1930’s. Ira’s father George was grand-father Clarence’s brother. The story that Clarence drowned before Dad’s birth in 1910 was verified by Ira Verge. So far we've only traced the Verge’s back to Dad’s great great grand-father, George Verge. Research is ongoing.
3. Dorey – Grand-father Clarence Verge’s mother was a Dorey. Our cousin Ira Dorey has added the Dorey tree to our website. So far we have been able to trace the Dorey’s back to Joseph Dorey who in 1806 owned a fishing wharf on Black Island, Bay of Exploits, NL. It is reported that his wife was a full blooded Mi’kmag Indian from Nova Scotia. Research is ongoing.
4. Packwood – Dad’s grand-mother Mackey was a Packwood and we’ve traced back to great great grand-father George Wallace Packwood. He was married to an Anstey, whose mother was a Sacrey. Research is ongoing.
5. Short – Our great great grand-father John Short is as far back as I've been able to research. Our grand-father (Mom’s father John Knight Short) was reported to be a Knight by birth and adopted by the Short’s. I cannot find a record of this. Research is ongoing.
6. Fudge – Mom’s mother was born a Fudge and her mother was born a Cole. My research ends at great great grand-father Robert Fudge and great great grand-father Humphrey Cole. Research is ongoing.
On my wife, Bernice's side there are two family ancestral lines that I've done little work on so far;
- Grants (Weirs) (Barnes)
This site is a work in progress so your input would be appreciated!
This site was created using MyHeritage.com. This is a great system that allows anyone like you and me to create a private site for their family, build their family tree and share family photos. If you have any comments or feedback about this site, please click here to contact me. Our family tree is posted online on this site!
Our family tree is posted online on this site! There are 1237 names in our family site. The earliest event is the birth of Joseph Dorey
(1721). The most recent event is the death of Whelimena Florence Morey (born Short)
(Apr 20 2013).
The site was last updated on May 21 2013, and it currently has 59 registered member(s). If you wish to become a member too, please click here. Enjoy!