My name is Linda Silverman Shefler and I started this site.
As of 18 October 2009 the Höchster-Hoechster-Hochster-Hexter family includes 2347 individuals, 11 generations and goes back to the mid 1600s.
The following are some of the main surnames found in Höchster family:
AUB, BERNS, BLOCK, BRILL, EICHENGREEN, FLORSHEIM, FRANK, GRIES, GROSSMAN, HAAS and HAYS, HEXTER, JACOB, JOSEPH, KAHN, KATZ and KANE, KUGELMAN, LAMM, LOEB, MARX, MAYER, MOSES and MORSE, OPPENHEIMER, PLAUT, POLACHEK, REISS, RICHMAN, ROHRHEIMER, SCHRAG, SCHWARTZ, SOLOMON, SPIER, STERN, STRAUSS and STROUSE, WEIL, WEINLANDER and ZELLERBACH.
I have attempted to be as historically accurate as possible; hence both given names and surnames are spelled in their various iterations as they evolved over time. Please be sure to try using the different spellings when you are looking for a specific individual, as the name might not be spelled the way you expect.
Case in point; German vowels will have an umlat (two dots) over them. When translated to other languages, many times the umlat is eliminated and an e will follow the vowel. For example; Höchster without the umlat is spelled Hoechster. Bründel will be spelled Bruendel. Löb will be Loeb. Feel free to cut and paste the letters with umlates to broaden your search.
I look forward to expanding the tree and hearing from family members who have not yet been discovered. It is almost impossible to compile a tree of this size without the help, collaboration and input of numerous people.While there are many people who are working on their specific branches of the family, I decided to try to locate and reconnect as much of whole family as possible.I have attempted to be as accurate as possible and to verify information whenever possible, but please let me know if you do see something that needs to be corrected.
I would also love to include any pictures, documents and other family related items that you are willing to share. I have been collecting these items from generous family members and will start uploading them shortly. Any and all contributions will be appreciated by all.
The photo on the left was contributed by Barbara Schwartz Burchstead and is of Leopold and Rosa (Höchster) Mayer and their children.
The photo on the right was contributed by Caroline Gries and is of the Hays family. If anyone can identify the individuals please contact me so we can put some names with the faces!
We presently have family members living in the United States, Israel, Canada, Colombia, England and Switzerland.
This is a work in progress, so please be patient as it continues to evolve. I look forward to hearing from you!
This summer the University Archives received a request from Ellen Wagner, whose son is entering CWRU this fall. Family memory holds that several of our new student’s ancestors had attended Case Western Reserve University and Ms. Wagner wondered if we could provide any information about their student days. This is not an unusual request for the Archives and legacy families are not unusual at CWRU. But the Loeb descendants were the first (to our knowledge) to incorporate student information from the Archives into a presentation at a multi-generation family reunion. Their enthusiasm was infectious and, with the family’s permission, we’re sharing a little of their story.
When Robert Wagner starts classes at CWRU later this month, it will be 100 years after his great-grandfather, Everett E. Loeb, started classes at Adelbert College, the undergraduate men’s college of Western Reserve University. In addition to his B.A. from Adelbert, Mr. Loeb also received the L.L.B. from WRU’s Law School. Everett served as president of the Menorah Society, established by Adelbert students interested in Jewish history, ideals, and problems.
Sylvia Loeb Harris, Robert’s great-great-aunt (Everett’s sister) was a 1918 graduate of WRU’s College for Women (later Flora Stone Mather College).
The second generation included two of Everett’s daughters, Virginia Loeb Kiine (Mather College 1948) and Nancy Loeb Jacobs (Applied Social Sciences 1953) and Virginia’s husband, Larry H. Kline (Case School of Applied Science 1945). Members of the second generation were active participants in student activities. Virginia was both treasurer and vice president of the El-Ed Club, president of Rho Delta Chi, at that time Mather’s newest sorority, and secretary of the Inter-Sorority Council. Larry was a member of Pi Sigma Delta fraternity, worked on the student yearbook, The Differential, and was a member of Case’s Debate Club.
The third generation expands to Robert’s father’s family via his uncle, Gregory P. Wagner (Weatherhead School of Management 2002).
The fourth generation, Robert Wagner, starts the family’s second hundred years at CWRU.
One hundred years. Four generations. Seven schools.
The farm of Uzi and Wilma Stein at Haruv Street 8, Rishpon. Asher - Oskar Stein was born in Germany to an agricultural family in Mühlen, Germany, in 1904. Tova - Gertrude Höchster was born in Mannheim, Germany in 1908. They married in 1936 in Germany and immediately after the wedding they immigrated to Israel. Asher and Tova Stein arrived in Israel from Germany in 1936 and lived in Petach Tikvah for two years before joining the Rishpon family with the Yekke immigration of 1938. Together with Asher and Tova Stein, several other members of the family came to Rishpon, including: Tova's parents - Henrietta and Leopold Höchster Tova's brother - Fred Aharon, who served in the British Army first until the end of World War II and afterwards in the Israeli army. The parents kept a mixed farm, raised vegetables, had cows for milking and chickens for laying eggs. Later, in 1953, an orchard of oranges was also added. The couple had two children: Nathan - Uriel Stein in 1937. And Uziel-Amos Stein in 1943. In Asher died in 1964. Uzi, the son, married Vilma and together they continued to take care of the farm, raising vegetables and fruits. In 1972 Uzi began working as a tractor operator. In 1980, Tova died and after her death, additional crops were added to the farm, including wax flowers and persimmon. Today the farm continues its agricultural activities of avocado, persimmon and mango crops.
A Jewish community existed in Storndorf until 1938/39. Its origin goes back to the 16th/17th centuries. For the first time, at the end of the 16th century, a Jewish local resident was identified ("the fat Judt von Storndorf"). Even during the Thirty Years' War, Jewish families were present. In 1659, Jewish families lived in eleven houses. In 1681-82, about 50 Jewish inhabitants were mentioned living in thirteen houses. Jewish families lived in both halves of the village (the upper half of the Lords of Seebach and lower half of the Junkers of Stondorf).
The Storndorf Jews lived in very poor conditions; in 1713 it was said that only one of the Jewish householders was fit for work, all of the other eleven families were poor. An organized Jewish community was formed In the middle of the 18th century. The first head of the community was "Joseph". In 1770 Aron Joseph became the first "Jewish schoolmaster" for the now thirteen Jewish families. At times, the Jews of both halves had different heads (ie: 1802 Hirsch Katz and Meyer Abraham). When the Jewish families had to choose fixed names in 1809, the surnames Weinberg, Katz, Freund, Höchster, Schwalm, Nussbaum, Stein, Strauss, Stern, Adler and more resulted. At the beginning of the 19th century, the most important man of the Jewish community was Kalme Kaufmann ("Jew box master").
In the 19th century, the number of Jewish inhabitants continued to increase: 1822 - 123 persons, 1828–30, 139, 1839 - 158, 1846 – 173, to the maximum of 188 people in 1870 (20.2% of a total of 931 inhabitants ). Thereafter, the number slowly declined due to emigration and relocation, 1900-1905: 92 Jewish inhabitants, 1910 59. Of the approximately 20 Jewish families, nine moved to Lauterbach around 1889. Of particular importance for the economic development was Salomon Strauss I, who, in the second half of the 19th century (in 1869) bought the upper farm estate.
After Deggau, a month later, on July 11, 1869, Strauss sold the estate again to a company of 13 Storndorf residents, to which he himself belonged.
The Jewish community had a synagogue, a school, a ritual bath and a cemetery. Attending to religious duties of the community was a teacher who was also active as a rabbi. From 1865 to 1897 Jakob Stern worked as a teacher and cantor in Storndorf. In 1897, after 32 years in Storndorf, he celebrated his 50th anniversary (see report below). Later teachers were; Ludwig Steinhauer (around 1920) and Markus Stein (around 1925). The community belonged to the Orthodox Provincial Rabbinate of Upper Hesse, based in Giessen.
During the First World War, responsibility for the Jewish community fell to Markus Plaut.
Around 1925, when the number of Jewish inhabitants was 38 (4.47% of a total of about 850 inhabitants), the heads of the municipality were: A. Stein, Leopold Strauss, Löb Adler. Markus Stein worked as a teacher and cantor, aLöb Adler as schochet. In 1932, the presidents were Leopold Strauss (1st president), Salomon Stein and Albert Adler. Of the then eight Jewish families, three had cattle shops, two manufactory businesses and there was an oil and fat operation that belonged.
After 1933, part of the Jewish community members (1933: 28 people) moved away or emigrated due to the increasing deprivation of rights and reprisals. In September 1939, there were no Jewish people left in the village.
The following are the Jews, either residents or people who lived there for a time, who perished during the Nazi period (according to the lists of Yad Vashem, Jerusalem):
Berta Ackermann geb. Adler (1890), David Adler (1902), Elise Adler (1880), Jonas Adler (1882), Leopold Adler (1865), Max Adler (1897), Moses Adler (1873), Rosalie Bamberger geb. Weinberg (1881), Bertha Baum geb. Adler (1873, Juda Baumann (1864), Sally Freund (1882), Ida Gumpert geb. Strauss (1901), Irene Hill (1928), Herz Höchster (1867), Emma Jakob geb. Baumann (1868), Sara Jakob geb. Katz (1857), Seligmann Jakob (1866), Mayer (Max, Meyer) Katz (1881), Ida Kussel geb. Baumann (1892), Auguste Lind geb. Plaut (1882), Jeanette Loeb geb. Freund (1869), Ida May geb. Adler (1878), Franziska (Fanny) Mayer geb. Baumann (1850), Julchen Plaut (1885), Karoline Plaut geb. Höchster (1889), Simon Plaut (1877), Selma Schack geb. Strauss (1889), Else Seiferheld geb. Baumann (1892), Jenny Stein (1896), Levi Stein (1874), Mathias Stein (1874), Rebekka Stein (1866), Salomon Stein (1893), Berthold Stern (1877), Klara Mina Stiefel geb. Adler (1888), Fanny Strauß (1879), Kaufmann Strauß (1879), Theresa Strauß geb. Strauß (1864), Alfred Streitmann (1916), Rosa Streitmann geb. Strauss (1916), Moses Ullmann (1878), Olga Wallenstein geb. Adler (1889), Luise Weidenbaum geb. Baumann (1856). Ester (Else) Weinberg geb. Adler (1869), Sally Weinberg (1893).
William J. Zellerbach died peacefully at home on February 5, 2017. Born on September 15, 1920, into a prominent San Francisco family, he was a man of enormous humility, generosity, and goodwill who valued others' humanity and integrity rather than their social or economic position. The well-being of others was prominent in his life, and he gave in many ways to organizations and individuals. Bill joined the U.S. Navy after graduating from the University of Pennsylvania to serve as a lieutenant after World War II broke out. Refusing an opportunity to be posted stateside, he served in a Navy beach battalion and saw combat action in North Africa, Sicily, Italy and the South Pacific. After the war, he worked for Crown Zellerbach Corporation, one of the then-largest paper manufacturers in North America that had grown from a small business operating out of a horse-drawn wagon started in San Francisco by his German Jewish immigrant great-grandfather. He served for many years as President of the Zellerbach Paper Company. He was instrumental in establishing a Boys Club in Hunters Point in 1959, and he was appointed by President Johnson to serve on his advisory committee for the Agency for International Development. As long-term Chairman of the Zellerbach Family Foundation, he was instrumental in shifting the Foundation's focus from bricks and mortar to services for the disadvantaged – especially immigrants and refugees and disadvantaged youth– as well as community arts. Bill played golf and attended 49ers games well into his 90's (taking the bus to and from the games). He owned race horses for many years, an outgrowth of a promise he made to a subordinate when both were under heavy German fire on the beach at Salerno. The man dreamed of being a horse trainer and Bill told him that if they both survived and the man obtained a veterinary degree, Bill would back him. Years after the war the man reappeared after attending veterinary school, and Bill then entered the horse racing business. His most successful horse was named after his granddaughter. Bill was devoted to his family and for over 70 years was the loving husband of Margery Haber Zellerbach, who predeceased him in September 2016. He is survived by his four children John Zellerbach (Mary Ellen), Thomas Zellerbach (Amy), Charles Zellerbach (Patricia), and Nancy Zellerbach Boschwitz (David); his grandchildren Joseph Zellerbach, Elizabeth Zellerbach Ruffer (Todd), Jennifer Zellerbach O'Connor, Will Zellerbach, Hilary Z. Reek (Terry), Emily Boschwitz, and Elliot Boschwitz, and two great-grandchildren Amaya and Tyler. He will be missed very much by his family and those whose lives he touched. The family wishes to extend its heartfelt thanks to the compassionate individuals who cared for Bill prior to his passing. Private services will be held.
Published in San Francisco Chronicle from Feb. 7 to Feb. 12, 2017
Ramon Schwartz Jr., widower of Rosa Weinberg Schwartz, died on Friday, June 30, 2017, at Palmetto Health Tuomey.
Schwartz was first elected to the South Carolina House of Representatives in 1969 and was elected speaker pro tempore in 1976 and remained speaker until his retirement in 1985.
Schwartz was a World War II veteran, serving in the European Theater in 1944 and 1945.
He attended the University of South Carolina, where he was elected Student Body Vice President. He received a law degree at USC in 1950. He practice law in Sumter with the firm Schwartz, McLeod & Durant.
From 1960 to 1964 he was president of the South Carolina Jaycees and served on numerous boards including Tuomey Hospital and Solomon Home for the Aged. He was also a president of the Sumter Rotary Club and the Sumter Chamber of Commerce.
He and Rosa had four children: Barbara, Ray, Milton and Bill.
Services will be announced by Elmore Hill McCreight Funeral Home & Crematory, 221 Broad St., Sumter, (803) 775-9386.
Morrell Goldsmith Biernbaum was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on April 26, 1895, the son of Sadie Goldsmith and Max H. Biernbaum, an iron machinist. He became "an enthusiastic mineral collector" in 1911, at the age of 16, and began taking courses in Geology at the Wagner Free Institute (with fellow students Samuel G. Gordon and Harry Trudell, among others); he received his certificate in Geology-1 in 1912 and in Geology-2 in 1913. He attended Penn Charter School in Philadelphia and went on to earn a BS in Civil Engineering from the University of Pennsylvania in 1917. He then took a position with the American Bridge Company in 1917, as assistant foreman in the construction of a manufacturing plant in Torrington, Connecticut. In 1920 he was working as an engineer for a shipbuilding company in Philadelphia.
He was an avid mineral collector, a member of the Philadelphia Mineralogical Society, and was donating mineral specimens to the Academy of Natural Sciences (under the name of Biernbaum) as early as 1918. On account of being persecuted as a Jew and originally not allowed to join the Philadelphia Mineralogical Society, he is said to have and converted to Episcopalian (probably ca. 1920 because he had been admitted to the Society by 1921), and changed his name to Baldwin in late 1935 or early 1936. A brief report in Henry Dake's The Mineralogists states that the November 1936 meeting of the Frankford Mineralogical Society of Philadelphia featured a talk by the "noted gem expert" Mr. Morrell G. Baldwin, owner of "a most magnificent private collection of gem stones." Again, in 1937, he gave a talk to the Philadelphia Mineralogical Society as Morrell G. Baldwin, on "Ancient and medieval gemology."
He registered for the draft in 1942 as Morrell Goldsmith Baldwin.
He took numerous mineral collecting trips to localities on the East Coast and in Nova Scotia. He assembled several mineral collections over the years, including some outstanding specimens. He acquired a major portion of the Charles Hoadley collection, and built a micromount collection of particularly attractive crystal specimens mounted in small custom boxes for viewing under a microscope. He also contributed a number of particularly attractive specimens to the Smithsonian Institution.
Biernbaum was a good friend of Rocks & Minerals founder Peter Zodac. He wrote an article on how to arrange a small collection in the June 1927 issue of Rocks & Minerals, and another in the December 1927 issue describing a 1924 collecting trip to Nova Scotia; in 1928 he was made "honorary president" of Zodac's "Rocks & Minerals Association," and was elected "honorary vice president" in 1929. He published an article on "where and how to find minerals" in December 1928, and another article in June 1931 listing himself as "Morrell G. Biernbaum, B.S., C.E." indicating that he held a bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering. It also confirms that his legal name change took place after 1931, leaving the mystery of why he cannot be found on the 1930 censuses (his mother had died by that time, but his father was still working as an ironwork contractor). The title of the 1931 article was "Are the 'good old days of mineral collecting gone?"
He is also mentioned in a 1921 issue of the American Mineralogist, under Miscellaneous Notes, a report of the Meeting of the Philadelphia Mineralogical Society on June 9, 1921: It states: "Mr. Biernbaum reported athree-day trip with Messrs. Frankenfield, Trudell, and Wills, to Falls of French Creek, the Birdsboro trap quarry, and Phoenixville, which resulted in turning up excellent chalcopyrite crystals at French Creek. Dr. Hawkins and Mr. Knabe reported sallies to Paterson, N. J., and O'Neills quarry, Pa., respectively, with negative results."
He is also acknowledged in a 1925 article in the American Mineralogist, (Volume 9, pages 203-252) by Edward F. Holden of the University of Michigan, in his article on "The cause of color in smoky quartz and amethyst." "Grateful acknowledgement is made of the following assistance rendered during this investigation ... M. G. Biernbaum, of Philadelphia ..." His last published article appeared in The Mineralogist in March 1935, titled simply "Micro-mounts."
Around 1936 Baldwin started a "boutique" jewelry shop ("M. G. Baldwin, Unusual gems and jewelry"), located at 1631 Locust Street in Philadelphia. In a May 1937 ad in The Sketchbook (published by the Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art) he offered "Jewelry, all of special design and exquisite craftsmanship, [and] Unset gems suitable for mounting or collection." He exhibited much of his mineral collection in three large display cases in the shop. He engaged Edmund Poppy and Edmund's soon-to-be wife, Toodie Helmer. Toody designed custom jewelry and Edmund was the craftsman jeweler. The business focused on wealthy patrons, and became profitable about the time of the outbreak of World War II, when his clientele suddenly no longer wanted to spend the kind of money that was needed to support such a business. He then returned to the shipbuilding industry where he had been employed during World War I. But at age 50 he found it difficult to gain employment. He was forced to sell his entire mineral collection to private collectors, among which was Worth Acker, who was also an ardent member of the Philadelphia Mineralogical society and the second husband of Toodie.
Morrell Goldsmith Baldwin married Grace Luft (died 1991), and together they had two children: Diane (born 1930, married Joseph W. Packer and lives in Westchester, Pennsylvania) and Max (born 1933, married Beverley Carter and lives in Savannah, Georgia). Morrell died of cancer in 1948 (information obtained from his son, Max Baldwin).
A period of appalling suffering during his teenage years in Europe led to Herbert Baer finding his feet in Australia. As he looked back in his memoirs, written when he was 84, he was unsure whether to regard himself as having been born under a lucky star or, like millions of others, deprived of normality by the terrible events which tore apart civilised life in Europe in the 1930s and 1940s.
Herbert was born in Cologne in 1924 into a well-established and cultured Jewish family, with roots in Germany and branches beyond. His life had been a happy and sheltered one until the Nazis came to power in 1933 and began their persecution of the Jews. One night in November, 1938, when the 14-year-old Herbert was at home with his father, five uniformed Nazi troops invaded the house around midnight, destroying furniture, books, works of art and anything else they could lay hands on.
When Herbert tried to ring the police, one of the stormtroopers threw him across the roo...
Robert Martin Bry, the son of Charlene and Richman Bry (deceased), died on March 5, 2017.
Bobby was the brother of Richman Bry, Jr. (Helene) and Lauren Bry Rechan (Michael). He has five adoring children, Ryan Martin Bry, Aaron Fleming Bry, Katherine (Katie) Rose Bry, Jackson Richman Bry, and Noelle Smith.
He had boundless energy, a magnetic personality and was beloved by his many friends, uncles, aunts, and nieces and nephews, and his first wife Darlene Bry.
Bobby attended Community and MICDS (St. Louis Country Day School) graduating in 1982. In high school, he was president of his senior class, gave the graduation speech, and was on the varsity football team. He then went to Brown University graduating in 1986. From there, he attended St. Louis University Law School and was awarded the Danforth Fellowship as an outstanding law scholar. He was sworn into the Bar Association by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. He worked for Sen. John Danforth in Wa...
Margery Haber Zellerbach died peacefully at home on September 18, 2016. She was born in San Francisco on March 31, 1921, to Harold and Hilda Haber. She is survived by William "Bill" Zellerbach, her loving husband of more than 70 years, four children John Zellerbach (Mary Ellen), Thomas Zellerbach (Amy), Charles Zellerbach (Patricia), and Nancy Boschwitz (David); their grandchildren Joseph Zellerbach, Elizabeth Zellerbach Ruffer (Todd), Jennifer Zellerbach O'Connor, Will Zellerbach, Hilary Reek (Terry), Emily Boschwitz, and Elliot Boschwitz, and two great-grandchildren Amaya and Tyler. She will be missed very much by all. Marge loved and cared for her family intensely. She had wonderful friends who shared a life-long loyalty to one another. She was a beautiful and intelligent woman who knew her mind and set high standards. She graduated from Galileo High School, which she attended with her future husband Bill, and from the University of California at Berkeley. During World War II, she worked in procurement for the United States Navy and afterwards volunteered for organizations that focused on infants and children in need. She was an avid sportswoman who played golf with her husband and friends, attended 49ers games (from Kezar to Candlestick), and followed the racing careers of her husband's horses (whether good or bad). The family wishes to extend its heartfelt thanks to the compassionate nurses and aides who cared for Marge prior to her passing. Donations may be made in her memory to the Zellerbach Family Foundation or any charity of your choosing. Private services will be held.
Published in San Francisco Chronicle from Sept. 22 to Sept. 25, 2016
Mark Strouse, a successful business man of San Francisco and proprietor of the Bay City Meat Market, 1136-1140 Market street, and also doing a large meat-packing business, came to the Pacific coast in 1861, when sixteen years of age. He is a native of Germany, born in 1845, received his education and spent the first sixteen years of his life in his native country. His first business in California was mining at Mokelumne Hill, Calaveras county. He obtained a mining claim, for which he was offered $10,000; this he declined, and at the end of six months left it as worthless. He turned his attention to butchering, and in the spring of 1863 went to Virginia City, Nevada, helped take 5,000 head of stock there and for six months worked in the meat market. Mr. Strouse and a brother then purchased the market and began a career of prosperity, which was continued in that city till 1880 - seventeen years. While Mr. Strouse resided there he took an active part in political and other affairs of the city. In 1868 he was elected by his party (the Democratic) Marshal of the city, and filled the position in a most business-like and creditable manner; and at the expiration of his term of office he was elected Treasurer of the city, and in this, as in his former office, his management of the financial affairs of the city gave the highest satisfaction. While Marshal of the city he had the satisfaction of arresting three notorious robbers, who had committed several crimes and were a menace to the country. They were found guilty and sent to State's prison. When Mr. Strouse came to San Francisco in 1880 he purchased his present market and engaged in business in this city, and met with success from the start, soon attaining a leading position in the business, as he has acquired the good will of a large patronage, and has in his employ seventy-five men and twelve boys. He has in his market the largest cooler on the coast, which enables him to keep his immense stock of meats in choice condition. He is a man of push, energy and large business experience, and what he undertakes succeeds. He has a valuable ranch at Honey Lake, Nevada, where he raises a part of the stock for his large business. He usually packs about thirty hogs per day, and also packs beef extensively. He cures the Emlie ham, which has acquired a wide reputation; his lard has the same brand. Mr. Strouse has belonged to many of the fraternal societies, but the pressure of business has caused him to drop most of them.
He was married in 1874 to Miss Lillie Edgeryton, a native of Virginia City, and they had three children, two of whom died; the surviving one is named Berdhea. Mr. Strouse lost his wife, and was married again in 1883, to Miss Amelia Emlie Bulhert, a native of Mokelumne Hill, California. They have two sons, born in San Francisco: Mark and Albert A. Mr. Strouse is what may be styled a self-made man, as it has been wholly by his own efforts that he has acquired his well-earned success.