Mary Jane Clark was born in 1866, in Kentucky and died on February 6, 1914. That is all I had on her. I found her grave on ROOTSWEB. She was buried at the Dripping Springs Cemetery halfway between St. Louis and Maud, OK. Her grandson, Carroll Richardson, told me he had been there once and it was pretty grown up with weeds.
Carroll tells a story about them traveling to OK. Evidently, Mary Jane fell off the wagon she was riding in and was crippled afterward. She is very small. She is also very dark. Is it possible they were Melungeon? According to the Stephens Co., Census in 1900 (Kinard Files), they married around 1888. Don't have documentation on that. They had several children with them in the census. I don't know for sure which children were hers since George had been married before and his 1st wife and some children were buried in Brazos, TX. From the dates I have, these are their children:
1. Mertie Wharton b. 1889 TX
(No one seems to remember him. Found him on Kinard files 1900 census with parents)
2. Gertie Bell Wharton b. September 29, 1892 in TX d. March 10, 1950 buried at Hillside Cemetery in Purcell, OK. m. 1. ? Pierce 2. Harry Garrison
3. Evie Pearl Wharton b. July 8, 1894 in Pot Co., IT. (I don't know where this is) d. October 8, 1960 buried at Hillside Cemetery in Purcell, OK. m.1. William Levi Engle 2. Edward J. Taliaferro 3. ? Cook.
4. George Clark Wharton b. June 1897 in Indian Territory d. 1965 in California. m. 1. Minnie Barker on September 19, 1917 2. Mada Walton on July 2, 1926
5. Warren Harry Wharton b. March 3, 1899 in Indian Territory d. May 18, 1970 in Pauls Valley, OK buried at Mt. Olivet Cemetery
m. Rita Welch
6. Donnie Odessa Wharton b. February 11, 1901 in Indian Territory. d. April 6. 1994 buried at Hillside Cemetery in Purcell, OK m. Vernon Jess Richardson on August 18, 1918.
There are other children listed on the census but I don't think they were Mary Jane's children...... Also, Carroll said that George Wharton was on the school board in Antioch school district.
Refn: Teri Taliferro
Download our exceptional genealogy software for free
Fun & simple to use
Imports your GEDCOM files easily
Smart Matching™ technology
Supports 40 languages