United States Census, 1850 for Samuel Hays
Name Samuel Hays
Residence Saluda, Jefferson, Indiana
Age 62 years
Calculated Birth Year 1788
Film Number 442932
Digital GS Number 4192458
Image Number 00376
Line Number 5
Dwelling House Number 705
Family Number 734
Free or Slave
Household Gender Age
Samuel Hays M 62y
Biddie Hays F 50y
Sarah A Hays F 24y
Melissa J Hays F 15y
1860 for Samuel Hays
Fees may apply.
About this Collection
Name Samuel Hays
Residence , Jefferson, Indiana
Ward Saluda Township
Age 72 years
Estimated Birth Year 1788
Family Number 165
Film Number 803270
DGS Number 4215037
Image Number 00247
NARA Number M653
Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
about Samuel Hays
Name: Samuel Hays
Spouse Name: Biddy Thompson
Marriage Date: 27 Nov 1833
Marriage County: Jefferson
Book: Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT
OS Page: 1310207 - 1310209
Samuel Hayes, ESQ.
Samuel Hays departed this life February 5th, in Atchinson Co., MO., in the eighty-eighth year of his age. He was a native of Kentucky, and a number of his uncles were killed by the Indians in the first settling of Kentucky, and his own father ran many narrow risks, and was crippled by them. Samuel moved to Indiana in 1811 and settled in Switzerland county, and in 1815 moved to Jefferson county, and settled in Danville, a place that was thought then would be the county seat. He was a gun smith by trade, and bought property there, and built a house and shop at considerable expense. Madison, the present county seat was then a very obscure place, having but one little store in it, and that in a log house; but the county seat went there, and Danville went down, and has been in a farm for many years. Mr. Hays bought a farm a few miles from Danville, and farmed some and run his shop too. Made a great many squirrel guns, as they were then called, forging the barrels by hand from heavy square bars of iron, and then finishing off the guns ready for use all by hand. And many of these old guns are now scattered all over these Western States. In 1831, I think it was, he sold his farm and bought another in Saluda township, same county, some twelve miles below Madison on the Ohio river, and moved on to it, and ceased to work any longer at his trade, but toiled on the farm as long as he was able to work. He lived in Jefferson county, Indiana about fifty five years, buried two companions, had eleven children by the first, three boys and eight girls, and by the second companion a girl. A few years ago he went with his daughter, Sarah Ann Johnson, to Missouri, who cared for him tenderly until the Master called him from labor to reward.
He was a hard working, honest man all the days of his life. He had a fine constitution, and might have lived, and perhaps would, if he had taken proper care of himself, to be a hundred years old. His early opportunities for mental culture were very poor indeed. Six month's schooling was all he ever received, and yet he was a very good penman, and an excellent accountant; very ready and accurate in counting interest at any percent, and drawing up legal documents of various kinds. He always was a true friend of education, and would employ and pay a teacher himself rather than his children should be without instruction, and if there was no school house, he would build one hiself, if there were none willing to help, rather than have no school. He never aspired to any office and never took any conspicuous part in politics, but always voted, and voted with the Democrats until the breaking out of the war; but then changed right around and voted the other way, voting for Lincoln the last time and then for Grant. He will be remembered by many of the old citizens of Madison and Jefferson county, Indiana as a quiet, industrious honest man. His last days were spent comparatively among strangers; but in great quiet, giving him time for reflection and preparation for another world; for like many other men he had lived in a hurry during his active life, and bolstered himself up with isms that her found upon mature reflection would not stand the test. His end was peaceful and serene, and we trust he is now happy with many of his pioneer friends that have passed over and gone to heaven.
(this was given to me by a cousin years ago and I don't know where it was published!)
Madison-The city of Madison is the county seat of the county, and the oldest town on the county. It was named for James Madison, President of the United States. There is no record of the date at which it was made the seat of government of the county. It had a population of 8,945 in 1880, and is supposed at this time (1889) to have about 10,000.
History of Madison-The town of Madison was orginally laid out in the year 1810. The first sale of lots was made in February, 1811.
The original town was laid off in a parallelogram of four blocks, containing sixteen squares of eight lots each. It was laid out on the magnetic meridian, so that the streets ran directly east and west and north and south. The first plat contained five streets running east and west. High, Second, Main Cross, Third, and Back-now Fourth Street. High street was the southern boundary of the town, and Back the northern boundary. There were also five streets running north and south at right angles with these, viz: East-the eastern boundary-Walnut, Main, Mulberry and West which was the western limit of the town.
The original town was embraced in section two, town III, north, range X east. The ground was originally purchased by John Paul, in the spring sale of lands at Jeffersonville, in the year 1809. He and Lewis Davis and Jonathan Lyons entered into a partnership in the lands and laid out the town.
The second sale of lots was held June 12th, 1812.
Additions were afterwards made to the town to the east, west and north, extending the area of the town into section three, town III north, range X east, and into sections thirty-four and thirty-five, town IV north, range X east.
All of the river front south of High-now First-was afterwards platted as river blocks. These have been since subdivided, and thus the descriptions of city property are various and to a stranger seemingly complicated. In making the additions west to the original town, the trend of the river was followed, making a bend in the streets.
The city of Madison is situated on the north bank of the Ohio river, on a plateau of ground which is really a peninsular tongue of land, formed by the waters of the Ohio river on the south and the waters of Crooked Creek on the north, and drawing towards and finally uniting with the Ohio to the west. The city extends in length from east to west, something over two miles, and from north to south about the distance of three-fourths of a mile. The ground is slightly rolling towards either water course, so that the whole city is naturally drained about equally toward each stream, and is consequently high, dry and healthy. It is about 1500 feet above the sea level. On the north of the city the hills arise quite abruptly to the height of nearly four hundred feett. At Walnut street there is a long hollow running north into the hills for about two miles, down which Crooked Creek come into the city and skirts along the foot of the bluffs or hills. Madison is situated in latitude 38 degrees and six minutes north, and longitude 8 degrees and 20 minutes west from Washington.
The early history of the town is, like that of the county, hard to get hold of. The absence of the county records, before the year 1812, makes it almost impossible, after the death of the early settlers, to establish any facts in regard to the early doing of the inhabitants. Almost every inquiry meets with different answers, which have been partially learned and largely deduced, and principally guessed at; so that the seeker after facts has a hard time to get them, although meeting constantly with persons desirous and anxious to enlighten and assist him.
It is prima facie fact that the town was built, and it is acknowledged on all hands as to who were the first prooprietors, but after that skein is terribly tangled that it cannot be straightened and unravelled.
Stores-Probably the first store in the town was kept by Col. John Vawter, who came to this county in 1806, with his father, Elder Jesse Vawter. His place of business was Jefferson streets, just west of and opposite to the court house. When he established this store cannot be determined, nor how long he continued it. He went to Jennings county in 1815, with David McClure, and they laid out the present town of Vernon. Afterwards he went to Indianapolis, when that place was determined upon as the seat of government for the State. Later he was assisting in laying out and making the town of Morgantown, and again at some two or three points on the old Madison & Indianapolis railroad. Another of the early merchants here was John Sering who, came in the year 1810, and was made county treasurer in 1812. He was appointed as the first postmanster and held the office for many years. He kept a store on the northeast corner of Main and Jefferson streets, where Gertz' bakery now is. At a leter date Mr. Sering established the first cotton mill in Madison. It stood on the ground now occupied by the residence of Mr. James J. Sering, on N. Jefferson street. It had only machinery for making cotton yarn. This was made from cotton rolls or batting, and was an industry of very nearly as great importance in that day as the great cotton mills of our day, where the raw cotton is made into cloths of different grades by machinery. At that time the majority of all of the cloths that were used were made by the women from the raw material, wether of flax, cotton or wool, carding by hand, spinning the thread, and then weaving on a hand loom.
Dr. Drake & Co. started the first drug store in 1813. Then followed Moody Park, Stephen C. Stevens-afterwards he studied law and was one of the judges of the State Supreme Cout. The two Hunt's, John and Nat, McCabe & Co., Clarkson, John McIntire, A.C. Lanier, David McClure, John Newberry, Wm. Robinson, John Sheets, B.W. Grover, V. and J. King, Milton Stapp, all kept dry good and groceries, boots and shoes, hardware, etc. D. Blackmore, John Lee, Robert Trotter, Wm. Brown, C. Basnett, John Kirk, Jacob Luck, Hunter, were early time hatters. C.C. Jeffreys, Jones, Simpson, Brant, McCollough were among the early silversmiths.
Taverns-John Booth was the first tavernkeeper, on the east side of Jefferson street, below Second. Samuel Burnet built a log tavern on the present site of the Masonic Temple; David Maxwell followed him. His tavern had a sign of two cross keys. After that it was known as the Bell tavern, because of the big bell which hung on the sign post. This tavern was torn down in 1837. Then followed Ristine at the corner of Mulberry and Main, Cross and Stapp; John Pugh on the site of the present Madison hotel; Ira Wells on Second street; R.R. Rea on the south of the court house square.
Physicians-Dr. Fisk was the first physician. Dr. Hicks, Dr. Cravens, Dr. Good, two Dr. Howes, Dr. Watts, Drs. Norwood, Hodges and Rogers and Dr. McClure.
Newspapers-The Western Eagle was the first paper published in the town of Madison and the second one published in the State. The Western Sun (published in Vincennes, beginning in 1804), being the first one. It was established by Wm. Hendricks and Wm. Cameron, the first number being issued on May 26th, 1813, at Madison, Indiana territory. In the address to the public the editor says it "will be published weekly, and printed on a royal sheet." It was a four page paper, with four columns to the page. It had news from all over our country of from four to six weeks old. This paper continued in the hands of Hendricks and Cameron until the year 1815, when Hendricks sold out to Cameron. After that time there is no reliable history concerning it.
Indiana Republican-As nearly as can be determined, this paper was established by John Lodge. The date of publication was April 8th, 1817. It had as first editor, John Lodge. He edited the paper a little over one year. He was one of the early citizens of Madison and was engaged in the printing bsiness for a number of years; afterwards he was engaged in merchandise for some years. He was one of the first passenger conductors on the Madison & Indianapolis railroad, and was killed in an accident upon the road Nov. 14th, 1845.
Col. C.P.J. Arion, a brother-in-law of Mr. Lodge, became the editor and co-proprietor of this paper in 1818 and was editor for fifteen years, whithdrawing from the paper August 22d, 1833.
Mr. Arion was a Kentuckian by birth, and a brick mason and plasterer by trade. While he was still quite a young man his mother came to Madison for the purpose of freeing her slaves, and Mr. Arion came here with her. The Carter brothers, Jacob, Peter and Dick and their mother, were of them. Col. Arion made some money and was for years in quite easy cirumstances; but later in life, he lost in business, and went to Chicago many years ago. He died several years since quite poor.
The Weekly Banner-Early in the summer of 1833, Judge Courtland Cushing and Judge Ebenezer Patrick, of Salem, Ind., formed a co-partnership for the purpose of establishing a paper in Madison, Ind., and got so far as to circulate a prospectur and take subscriptions. This was the Banner a weekly paper. After going thus far, an arrangement was effected between this paper and the Indiana Republican, also a weekly, before mentioned. The result of this arrangement was that Judge Cushing withdrew his connection with the Weekly Banner and Col. Arion withdrew his connection with the Indiana Republican, and the two were combined, with Judge Patrick as the editor, as the Republican and Banner-The first number of this paper was issued August 22d, 1833. Lodge still held an interest in the paper.
In the absence of old files of the paper there are lapses of time not accounted for. John W.G. Simrall at one time was an editor.
In the year 1841, Mr. D.D. Jones purchased an interest in this paper and was the editor, the firm name being Jones & Lodge.
In 1847, Mr. W.W. Crail became a partner of Jones in the paper, and the firm was Jones & Crail.
In 1850 The Daily Banner was started by this firm, it being the first daily paper printed in the State. The Republican Banner and the Daily Banner were Wig in politics.
Copy of a letter:
"Madison, Ind., Jan. 1, 1889
As requested, I furnish you such data as are in my possission, in regard to the subject spoken of:
My father; Daniel D. Jones, was born in the county of Cardigan, in the south of Wales, on Thursday, Oct. 1st, 1801. John D. Jones, his father, emigrated to America in April, 1817, with his family, landing at New York city, from which place he journeyed to Baltimore, Md. My father, about this time, I think, entered the Baltimore American newspaper office, where he learned the trade of a printer.....
When he left Baltimore I have no data. He left Baltimore and came west and located at Bardstown, Ky., where he for some time edited, published and printed a Presbyterian paper.
Afterwards he was editor and proprietor of the Bardstown Herald, until he removed to this place (Madison, Indiana,) where he printed and published the Republican Banner, associated with others in said paper. He was married January 22d, 1829, to Miss Mary Margaret Simpson, by the Rev. J.T. Hamilton, of Louisville, Ky. His death occured September 21st, 1851. Thos. S. Jones."
Madison Daily Tribune was established in 1851, by John G. Sering and Milton Gregg. It was published but a short time when it was taken to New Albany, Indiana.
Weekly Madison Courier-This paper was established in 1837, by Mr. Grey, and passed into the hands of Doolittle & O'Grady, O'Grady as editor, after Rolla Doolittle was editor. Then S.F. Covington, later Col. M.C. Garber was the editor-and continued in charge of it until he went in to the P.O., when M.C. Garber, his son, was made the editor; he still is in charge of the paper. While Col. Garber was at the head of the paper-some time in the '50's-the Daily was commenced. This was started as a Democratic paper, but on account of the difference caused by the fugitive slave law in that party, and finally became a Republican, and his paper a Republican paper. It is now the leading paper of the county.
The Daily Madisonian was established at this time (1852), by the Bright wing of the Democratic party, R.S. Sproule, editor. It only lasted through the campaign.
The Progress, edited by N. Manville, was established later as a Democratic paper, but lasted but a short time.
The Daily Free Press was established in the year 1867 by Llewellyn Jones; I.D. Simpson, editor. It was quite successful till January 1st, 1870, when the office burned.
Major Simpson started a daily after the burning of the Free Press. It was also called the "Free Press." It soon broke down.
In 1876, Maj. J.D. Simpson started The Madison Star, an evening daily, which he continued to the time of his death. It was finally bought out by the Courier Co.
The Madison Herald In 1875, a stock company started this paper as a weekly and semi-weekly paper, Dr. Llewellyn Jones as editor. It afterwards changed hands and was edited by Mr. Lin Jones. Later, Mr. M.A. Barnett, who established a daily, was editor and proprietor. He sold an interest to Dr. Bartlett. It was then made a stock company again, with Mr. Lin Jones as editor.
There have been some other papers printed in Madison, but the facts as to them cannot be satisfactorily obtained as they are not mentioned.
Industries of Madison
Flouring Mills-Of all the industries of the city of Madison, perhaps that of milling stands at the head, both as to time of beginning and as to importance.
The earliest inhabitants had their grinding done at the "Old Grey Mill," at Mount Byrd, Kentucky. One of the first boys of the town-who is still living-says he recollects of hearing his father say that Elder Jesse Vawter told him "that he would come out on the point on his farm at Mt. Glad, and hail old man Gray at his mill across the river, asking him whether he could get his grist soon if he came over with it. If the reply was satisfactory, he would cross with it to the mill." This is thrown in to show the importance of the mill in the new community, and necessity for the erection of one at as early a date as possible.
The first mill known in this part of the county was Col. John Paul's, which was built on Crooked Creek, at the head of Mill street, in the present city of Madison. Just when it was built cannot now be positively ascertained, but there is mention of it as early as 1814, and possibly 1813. It was run by water power. The next mill was built in 1831-32, by Sam K. Page, Richard Dearborn and Alexander Washer. A large steam mill, on the site now occupied by the stove foundry works. The first building was frame which burned, and the elegant Star Mills, brick was built.
David White fitted up as a mill about 1846, an old stone building at the east end of the city. This was built for a mill by Dr. Israel T. Canby many years before, but had never been fitted for work, no machinery having been put into it.
Then the Magnolia Mills at the foot of Broadway was built in 1850 or 1851. This burned in the fall of 1854. The next was the Palmetto Mills, built by Wm. Griffin, occupying the site of Johnson's starch factory. It was enlarged by Shrewsbury and Price who runt them for a few years. They were destroyed by fire October 28th, 1858.
In 1856, M. Isaac Dulton fitted up a mill on the north-east corner of West and Second streets, which he sold to Mr. W.W. Page. M. Pages sold to Messrs. Trow & Stapp December 11th, 1858. They continued there till August, 1869, when they fitted up the large building opposite on the south side of Second street, when it burned. In 1882, Wm. Trow & Son built the present large mill at the foot of Broadway.
About 1860 there was a mill fitted up in a large building on the west side of Jefferson, at Ohio street, which was used as a custom mill. It finally was burned in 1878 or 1879. In 1802, Mr. Gordon fitted up a mill on Main street, between Broadway and Poplar Lane. He afterwards built a large brick mill at the same place, which is now the Taylor-Hitz Co. mill. A little later, W.W. Page established a custom mill at the north-east corner of Main and Broadway. T.A. Pague and A. Schiek fitted up a mill on West street, on the south bank of Crooked Creek, but ran it but a short time. Stapp& Trow afterward bought it, and ran it till it was blown up.
Schneider & Wehrle fitted up the old Shuh oil mill for a custom grist mill, and ran it for some time. About 1866, R.J. Hurlbut and Capt. Haynes used this mill, grinding homily, corn meal and flour. It passed into the hands of Louis Rock.
Oil Mills-V. & J. King had probably the first oil mill, for making linseed oil, in the town. Afterwards Jacob Shuh put up a steam mill for making oil, combining a carding machine with it.
About 1845, Whitney & Hendricks built a large mill for making linseed oil and meal, and quite an extensive woolen mill attached to it. This mill was on the east side of West street, and north of the creek. It proved too large a business for the place.
Castor Oil Mill-In 1849, Milton Gregg and E. Morehouse built a large mill for making castor oil, just south of the last-mentioned mill. This industry was in advance of its day and went under.
Cotton Mills-The second cotton mill of Madison was built by a man by the name of Ballentine, and became the property of V. & J. King. It was a steam mill, and quite a large thing for the date. The machinery manufactured the yarn from the raw material. The King Brothers ran it till the improvement in machinery at other places made this unprofitable, when they closed down.
The old mill stood on the west side of Central avenue below First, below the second bank or rise from the river. It was two stories and an attic in height, the first story being below the street. It was afterwards made into a planing mill by Todd & Kyle. Later it was a paper mill, owned by R. Manville. Finally it burned. At the time it was built, it was as advanced, comparatively, as the present mill on Church street.
For many years the cotton industry was quiet in Madison, but in 1883 it was revivied, and the Eagle Cotton Mills were built in 1884.
Woolen Industry-The first mention of this industry is, "that the Rev. Wm. Robinson, the first Prebyterian preacher, erected a 'carding machine' on lot 36, Old Town. After Mr. Robinson was John M. Watson; then came Braxton Wilson in the house on the south side of Third street, and the east side of the first alley west of West street. Old Father James Cottom was the foreman and carder. Then came the carding rooms of Mr. Shuh, with Father Cottom as carder, referred to at another place, where the power used was a stream. Next was the carding rooms, and manufactory of Whitney & Hendricks-before mentioned. After this, with a long interval, was the Schofield-Hague mills at the foot of Central avenue, where the Globe Tobacco Works now stand. Some time after, the Schofield mills, northeast corner First and Jefferson. Last the present extensive establishment, the Louisville and Madison Woolen Mills, at the corner of West and Second. This mill is prepared to do any kind of work in their line.
Breweries-Old man Salmon had a brew-house at the eastern end of Second street, at about the present wite of the Madison Brewing Co's building. This was probably the first establishment of the kind in this vicinity.
The next was the Schiek Brewery, which was situated on Jefferson, north of Fourth street. This was abandoned as a brewery some years since and fitted up as a canning factory.
There was Abple's Brewery, at the head of Fourth street. Mat. Greiner built a large brewery on the ground at the head of Second street which was afterwards enlarged and the Madison Brewing Co. was formed. P. Weber built the Union Brewery on Main and Vine streets. Both of last mentioned are in full operation, and very large concerns.
Madison beer and ale were in long past, famous all over the West for their superior quality. Now they rate with others all over the country. The difference in the purity of the water is the probable cause.
Shipyards-The first shipyard of the town was operated by Joseph Howard and P. Emmerson, partners. It was established early in the decade of '30, and was situated at the extreme upper river front of the town, just below where the Mammoth Cave Pork House stood. They afterwards went to Jeffersonville and Howard established a yard there. Barmore, who started a shipyard in Jeffersonville wa a workman in the yard here and went to Jeffersonville with Howard.
The Madison Marine Railway Shipyard was established in 1850 and has been in operation ever since, with fluctuating success and failure. At the present it is in good condition and is prospering.
The Madison Dry Dock Co.-A sketch of this is given by Hon. Jos. T. Brashear, Mayor.
"In the year 1859, Jos. T. Brashear, Louis H. Vance, Henry Thompson, William McCleland and Samuel Beaty organized the Madison Dry Dock Company, for the purpose of building and repairing steam boats and water crafts. The first boat the company built was the ferry boat Union, for Capt. John Abbott, to run as a ferry between Madison and Milton, Ky. They then built their dry dock, the dimensions of the dock as follows: 192 feet in length, 52 feet in width and 11 feet in depth; was finished and launched in the summer of 1860. The first boat that was placed on the dock for repair was the Ida May, in the fall of 1860. The company built the following boats: Leslie Combs, for Capt. Stivers, for Kentucky river; ferry boat O'Conner for New Albany, Ind.; Fannie Brandies for Capt. Thomas Boles, of Evansville, Ind; Mattie Cook for Capt. Adam Liter for Green river; two middle barges for Memphis Packet Co.; Carolina for Capt. Isaac Tallay of Madison; Fantom for Capt. Charles Irwin of Madison; ferry boat Lucy Taylor for Capt. Taylor of Hamilton, Mo.; Indiana for Capt. J.S. Neal, of Madison, for the Cincinnati and New Orleans trade; Calumet for Read river trade; Mollie Gratz for Madison and Louisville trade; Rob Roy and Andrew Johnson for the St. Louis and Keokuk Packet Co.
The company did a large amount of repairing of old boats. In the spring of 1865 the dock was sold to Capt. Henry C. Watts and others. They erected a roof over the entire dock and loaded the dock with hay. They put 1,650 tons on her. She was taken in tow by the steamer Hazell Dell and taken to New Orleans. After disposing of the hay, Watts & Co. sold her to some New Orleans parties who used her for docking small crafts.
Foundries-The first foundry was carried on by Edward Shields & Bro. It was located on the northwest corner of Vine and High streets. The motive power was one blind horse. They did no work outside of a few plain castings and mouldboards for plows.
Lewis & Crawford came next on the other side of Vine street; from a small start they finally had a very large foundry and machine shop, turning out all kinds of work in their line of business. They accumulated quite a fortune but finally by reverses died poor.
They sold out their shops, business and good will to the Neals-J.S. and R.E.- and Wm. Johnson, under the firm name of J.S. & R.E. Neal. This firm enlarged the premises till they finally had one of the largest foundries in the whole West. They finally broke up in this business, and started a large Agricultural Implement Manufactory, which collapsed during the first years of the war.
Lodge & Sackets started a small foundry on Mulberry street, near Fifth, on the east side of Mulberry. Sackets became intemperate and the thing went to pieces.
Crawford & Davidson, in the decade of 1850. First called "Indiana Foundry," now "Madison Machine Works Co."
Joseph R. Farnsworth built a foundry in 1848, on the river front between West street and Central avenue. This was burned down in "50, and he built on the corner of Elm and Ohio. This was burned three times, when he abandoned the business.
Cobb & Stribling afterwards refitted this place, and they were burned out.
The Novelty Works was established by I.N. Todd, on Second, near Elm. After, Walker's foundry was removed to West street, where Charles Johnson now runs it.
Starch Factories-The first starch factory of any size established in the West was at Madison, by O'Neal Bailey, and Irishman. This was a failure in his hands, but after passing one or two other owners it was a success under the management of Johnson & Clements. Finally they separated their interests and each built works at the west end of the city, and are now operating two of the largest starch works in the whole country. They use daily about eighteen hundred bushels of corn in the manufacture of starch.
Stove Foundries-Along in the fifties there was a stove foundry established on Mulberry, below First. It did not continue long.
The Madison Stove Foundry was established about 1883, and is doing a large and increasing business.
Saw Mills-Dow & Brown have a large saw mill and planing mill on the railroad, west side of Plum street.
D.C. Robinson & Co. have a saw mill on the river at the foot of Vernon street.
H. Clay Jones & Co. have a fine mill on the site of the old Mammoth Cave pork house.
Pork Packing-Madison was the natural outlet of the county north of here for all of the products, and in the early days was sought as such. The Michigan road reaching to the lake gave a fine route for the farmers to haul their grain and to drive their hogs over.
The State road was another artery reaching as far as Indianapolis. Along these the trade was established running through the whole State. All routes centered at Indianapolis, and as it was cheaper to drive than to haul, and as there were at that time no arrangements for any extensive business there, it all headed to Madison. The early establishments at this place gave to the packers there great opening of the Madison & Indianapolis railroad, was a point surpassed by none as a pork mart. Among the large dealers were Dearborn Godman; Godman & Sons; Sering & Godman; Sering & Penninston; D.White; N. Powell; Jas. Cunningham; J. Fitch & Son, and many others. After the railroad outlet to Cincinnate was made, this trade was much lessened, but for many years, in fact to the time of the breaking out of the late war, Madison was in the front in this trade.
Dry Goods-This place was, by virtue of its location on the river, the first place of business in this line. The goods were hauled by wagon all over the State.
The beginning in the town of the general store, where everything was kept to supply the needs of the customer, gave way to the store of special line of goods, and finally in the growth of the country, to the largest wholesale stores in every line. The trade now is much lighter than it was in 1850 to 1856, but a good business is done here in dry goods, shoes, groceries and hardware, there being houses in each line here.
Banking-The Farmer' and Merhanics' Bank of Indiana, located at Madison, was incorporated by act of the Territorial Legislature, dated September 6th, 1814, signed by:
Speaker of the House of Representatives
Jesse L. Holman,
President of the Council Approved, September 10, 1814
Th. Posey, Governor
This was the first banking institution legally incorporated within the territory. It was recognized and confirmed by the State Constitution in 1816. The charter extended in time to January 1, 1835. Under the charter, the property of the bank, including capital stock, was restricted to, and not to exceed the sum of seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars ($750,000.)
On January 1, 1817, the Bank of Vincennes was adopted by an act of the Legislature of the State of Indiana, as the "State Bank of Indiana," and was empowered conditionally, to adopt the Farmers and Mechanics' Bank of Indiana as one of its branches. This was done, but the State institution became so corrupt that it was deprived of its franchises and privileges, by proceedings under a writ of quo warranto in the year of 1812. A large amount of the notes of the Bank of Vincennes and its branches-branches at Vevay, Brookville and Corydon-became worthless, and were never redeemed. The notes of the Farmers' and Mechanics' Bank of Indiana at Madison, were all redeemed.
This bank was kept in a brick house built for the purpose on the east side of Jefferson, four doors north of Second street.
In 1833, the State Bank of Indiana was chartered with thirteen branches. One of these was at Madison, J.F.D. Lanier, first president. This continued till 1859, when the charter expired, and the business of the bank was wound up.
Along in the forties, a Bank of Deposit and Issue was established by John & Victor King, John Woodburn, George Leonard, and others. It was closed after a few years. Under the State Free Banking law a bank was established by the Madison Insurance Co., of Deposit only. The Indiana Bank was established under this law as a Bank of Issue and Deposit. This bank was re-chartered under the national banking law, and is now known as the First National Bank of Madison. At the closing up of the business of the Madison branch of the State Bank, a new bank was formed, taking the old building and name, being called "The National Branch Bank." Both of these latternamed banks are still in successful operation.
City Directory-The City of Madison was incorporated in 1838, by act of the Legislature.
Moody Park was the first Mayor; he served from 18
continues from note 5
Moody Park was the first Mayor; he served from 1838 till April, 1850. He was succeeded by Milton Stapp (1850-53). Wm. Hendricks, Jr., was the first City Clerk, and Amariah Foster the first Marshal; John Pugh was the first Treasurer.
The present city officials are: (in 1889)
Mayor, Hon. J.T. Brashears; Clerk, John A. Zuck; Treasurer, Wm. H. Rogers; Marshal, J. Hoagland; Assessor, Ben Wells; Supt. of Schools, Prof. J. Hartin A.M.; Board of Waterworks, W.W. Hinds, Supt, C.E. Goodman, Wm. Dum; Street Commissioner, L. Crozier.
City Council-1st Ward, J.W. Thomas, N. Hovniff; 2nd Wardmm J. Schneider, A. Chapman; 3rd Ward, C. Alling, S.E. Haigh; 4th Ward, James White, Jonathan Schooley; 5th W.W. Page, C.C. Sappington; 6th Ward, S.J. Robinson, P. Klein. City Attorney, M.D. AWillson.
Fire Department-Fair Play (steam) Fire Co. No. 1; Pres. John A. Zuck; house, Main above Walnut. Washington (steam) Fire Co. No. 3. Pres. Thomas B. Lockard; house West Main between Mill and Plum streets. Washington Hook and Ladder Co., in Washington Fire Co's., house. Walnut Street Hose Co., Fire Co. No. 4. Fres. W.W.Hinds; house east side Walnut beyond Fifth.
City Schools-The system of puclic schools is under the State, and all know what that is without any prompting.
The city schools are located as follows: The Upper Seminary on East Third street, south side between Walnut and East; The Walnut Street School on Walnut, north of Fifth. The Central, southeast corner Second and Central avenue; High School, northeast corner Second and Central avenue; Lower Seminary, Main, north side, west of Plum; Colored School, north Broadway.
Early Time Teachers-Rev. Wm. Robinson, Presbyterian minister; Mrs. Searles, widow of Presbyterian preacher: Mrs. Sard; Miss E. Goode; Miss Mason-now Mrs. Dr. Cornett; Mr. Beaumont Parks; Mr. Chute; Miss Johnson, an excellent teacher-she taught in the old Bank Building; Miss Brown, afterwards Mrs. Burrows; the Salisburys.
Improvements-The first account of the improvements in the town of Madison is in a sketch by Mr. D. Blackmore in 1850. He says: "Hall's was the first improvement. (This was in what is now called Fulton.) Then John H. Wagner;s, the second improvement, which was on High (now First) street, between Mulberry and Main. Lyon made the third improvement, on the high ground between Ross' tanyard and the river. When he-Blackmore-built in 1811, besides the improvements above, there were Trotter's on High, near Walnut; Booth's tavern on Main (now Jefferson) and Second, southeast corner; Burnett's tavern, a large log house with a porch-Hunt's property. Taylor's (Father Nush Taylor) saddler's shop; J. Wilkinson's cabin, Walnut and High east of Trotter's; Nat Hunt's old residence; Strickland's, on the old Brisben and Barker lot, was a place of prayer meetings for the Methodists."
From that time forward there has been a constant advance in the buildings in quality and numbers. The buildings, principally of brick and very substantially built, have, a great many them, long survived the builders, and many are now standing of sixty and seventy years of age, and quite strong and substantial. There are more of the antique than of the modern style here among the dwellings; the business houses have been made more to suit the times and the advance in style of architecture, and there has been more remodeling of them, so that they present a more modern appearance than the majority of the dwellings. Taken as a whole, it is one of the most substantially built towns in the state. (I am pleased to say many of the buildings Mr. Hendricks talks of here are still beautiful to this day in 2009, 120 years later- SLK)
Our public buildings-county and city-are good, handsome and comodious. The fire engine houses, the public schools, and the churches are all deserving of mention. The opera houseis also unique thing in its way. Not as large as some, but as tasteful and elegant in its appointments as any.
Among our residences are many that will match in finish and comofrt with those of any place, and if the old houses were modernized they would perhaps be injured in their home-ness more than improved, as that would be only in appearance.
Fire Indurance-The city is well fitted in water works, getting their supply from the river above the town. The water is forced up to the resivoir on the side of the hill at the head of Second street, some two hundred feet above low water mark. There are also two reserviors at the west end of the city, on a level with this one, supplied by springs and a pollywog. The elevation of these reservoirs is sufficient to force the water on top of the highest houses, by simply attaching hose to the fire plugs. By this means fires are frequently drowned out without the use of the steam fire engines. Consequently the per cent of loss by fire is much less than in other places of the same size.
There are three steam fire engines belonging to the city. Each one of these is kept and operated by volunteer fire companies. Belonging to each of these fire companies are hose reels, carrying large quantities of hose for attaching to fire plugs, and to the engines, which force the water through them onto the fire.
There is another fire company which has only hose.
Summing up-Madison was a place of much note at the early part of this century. To it was attracted a very great number of people of all classes, characters and occupations. In 1816 and up to 1850, it was one of the points of attraction as a new and growing town in a new and growing country. There were speculations in town lots, and in all other possibilities of fortune-making that are now sought in the new towns of the West. It had its great boom as they have, and property was up to fabulous prices. The capitalist was attracted to is as a place of investment; the mechanic as a place where he could get work; the merchant as a good opening for his business, and as a growing place; the lawyer and doctor were attracted to it as a place of investment; the mechanic as a place; the lawyer and doctor were attracted to it as furnishing a good opportunity for fame and riches; and it was especially attractive to the young men of that day. The beauty of the location and its natural surroundings was added to all of the others which have been enumerated. All of these combining, caused an inflow of men of mark on account of talent and ability, such as but few other places of that day or since has had. In the first fifty years of the century, but few of the men of prominence in this country,-and of foreigners, traveling for instruction or pleasre-but that made Madison a point of visit. Many men who were afterwards of national fame were citizens of the old town. J.F.D. Llanier and Hugh McCullough were young business men of this city. The bar of our city in those days stood head and shoulders above any other in this State, and was the peer of any in all of the country. In legal attainments, as counsellors and as advocates, none surpassed the members of it.
Judge Miles C. Eggleston, William Hendricks, Sr. and Jr., the Brights, Sullivan, Marshall, Glass, Dunn, Carpenter, Gen. Meek, and many others of those who have passed away.
In the political arena, Madison has produced many names of honor and worth, both of State and national fame. William Hendricks, the first Member of Congress from this State, second Governor of the State, and United States Senator for twelve years; Jesse D. Bright, who was Lieutenant-Governor of the State, United States Senator for about sixteen years, (and for a time President of the Senate) and others for a mention of whom space is wanting.
As financiers, Lanier and McCullough have already been mentioned, but Gen. Milton Stapp, Canal Commissioner for this State and agent of State, and M.G. Bright, Agent of State for Indiana for many years, may properly be mentioned as men of national reputation. Those of local or State fame are quite numerous. Lucius Barbor-the clock peddler-Jonathan Fitch, Nathan Powell, Jesse Whitehead, David White and so on. Names might be added to the list, almost ad infinitum.
The army has had many illustrious names onits list from Madison. At the head and most conspicuous, that of Gen. Richard Canby,-or as the "old boys" of his times call him "Dick." In the navy is the name of Commander Napoleon B. Collins, of the ship Florida, a man of world-wide fame, Capt. B.B. Taylor and others.
If Madison is not known to general fame, it is not on account of illustrious and honorable men as her citizens in the past, or at the present time, nor from want of business possibilities, as living is cheap and the town is healthy. It is "beautiful for situation," and nature is lovely all around her.
There is the best of water and air, streets clean and dry, and lighted at night by the electric lights in all parts of town; good hotels, and all other accommodations. Good town and good people.(still true-SKL) Give a call upon us and try our beautiful "little city under the hills,' and see if she will not do as a place to live in, and to do business in.
Towns of the County
Barbersville, in Shelby township, in section three, town V north, range XI east, was laid out by Enoch Bray and Thomas S. Bray, December 18th, 1848. It contains one store, a post office and a school house.
Brooksburg, Milton township, in section one, town III north, range XI east, was laid out by Fletcher Tevis, November 21st, 1843. It has several stores, a blacksmith shop, church, school house, post office, a printing office. It is a well built pretty village.
Bryantsburgh, Monroe township, was laid off by Jacob Bryant, March 5th, 1834. It contains a post office, three stores, two blacksmith shops. It has a population of about 60. It is in section eleven, town V, range X east.
Canaan, is in section 21, town V, range XI, in Shelby Township; was lalid off August 1st, 1836, by John Cane. It has several stores. One drug store, a cigar manufactory, a Methodist church, a fine public and high school building. Twelve miles from Madison.
Deputy, Graham township, section seventeen, town IV, north, range VIII east, was laid out by Foster C. Wilson March 29th, 1871. It is on the short line railraod from Louisville, Ky., to North Vernon, Ind. It has a population of about 300. Eighteen miles from Madison.
Dupont, Lancaster township, on the J.M. & I. railroad, is in section ten, town V north, range IX east. It was laid out by James Tilton of Wilmington, Delaware, and named after his old friends, "the Duponts," powder makers. of Delaware/ It has two churches, Methodist and Baptist; a fine school house, a number of dry go(ods and grocery stores, drug store, post office, railroad station, agricultural implements warehouse, several blacksmith shops, wagon-maker's shop, a steam saw, grist and commercial mill. Its population is about 300. Fifteen miles from Madison.
Hanover is a post office six miles west of Madison, section twelve, town III north, range IX east. Has a population of about five hundred. Well supplied with stores, blacksmith shops, a steam flouring mill, Presbyterian church, Methodist church and College building.
Kent, Republican township, is in section thirty-two, town V north, range VI east. Was platted by James Blankenship, April 9th, 1853, and formerly callled Ramsey's Mills post office. There are three good stores, two churches, a good school-house, a large flour mill, two doctors offices, a blacksmith shop and post-office. The population is about 350. It is a nice clean, tidy-looking little place. It is eight miles west from Madison.
Lancaster, Lancaster township, is in section thrity-three, town V north, range IX east. Post office, several stores, one church, a fine merchant mill and school house. Situated at the confluence of Big Creek and Middle Fork, on the north side of Big Creek.
College Hill, is just across Big Creek from Lancaster. Subjoined is a sketch of the college formerly located there.
This institution was founded in 1850 by Elder Thomas Cravens and son, John G. Cravens. It was called Elentherean (Eleutherian) College. It was located at Lancaster, Lancaster township, Jefferson County. It was intended as a school where all could be educated without regard to color, but especially in the interest of the negro.
It was founded by Elder Thomas Cravens and his son John G. Cravens. They came to Lancaster in 1848 and taught school in a church house that year. In 1849 they built a boarding house. In 1850 they began building the college edifice. Their ideas were so obnoxious to some of the neighboring citizens that the church and some of the boarding houses were burned, and the founders of the institution were persecuted in various ways. Notwithstanding all these hinderances, they preservered, and erected a large stone college and a stone boarding house. In 1855 they commenced teaching in the new building.
The organization was: President, Elder Thomas Cravens; John G. Cravens, Professor and Business Manager. Trustees: James Nelson, John H. Tibbets, Lyman Hoyt, David Hughes and Lemuel Record.
After some months they had from seventy-five to eighty students and boarders, about equally divided as to color. It was in its prime from 1857 to 1860, and has gradually dwindled away until the school ceased to exist and the building now belongs to the township, and is used as a public school building.
North Madison, Madison township, Section twenty-seven, town IV north, range X east. It was platted by Robert J. Elvin, Wm. H. Branham, and David Branham, October 27th 1846. It has a post office, several stores, a Baptist, Methodist and Catholic church, a fine public and high school building, and a large nuber of railroad buildings. Its population is 1,000. It is located at the head of the inclined plane of the railroad, one and three-quarter miles from Madison.
Wirt, Madison township, is in section seven, town IV north, range X east, was laid out by John W. Parsons and James Burns, July 18th, 1837. There is a store, blacksmith shop and post office here. Population of about fifty. There is a Baptist church and a school house in the town. There are two resident physicians.
Download our exceptional genealogy software for free
Fun & simple to use
Imports your GEDCOM files easily
Smart Matching™ technology
Supports 40 languages