Religion: Quaker-West Chester Mtg
Chester County Marriage Lic. No. 5888. WCDL 5-19-1922: "Last evening the 25th anniversary of the wedding of Mr. and Mrs. John Parker, of Miner and New streets, was enjoyably celebrated at their pleasant home, about fifty relatives and friends calling unexpectedly on them to tender congratulations on the rounding out of a quarter of a century of happily married life. They were married twenty-five years ago by Friends' ceremony in the old meeting house at Parkersville, both being members and residents of that section. Mrs. Parker's maiden name was Hattie G. Brinton, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Caleb Brinton, of Pennsbury township. Mr. Brinton is desceased, but hus widow, mother of Mrs. Parker, was able to be present and enjoyed the occasion greatly. Mr. and Mrs. Parker had made arrangements to go out last evening, but received word that Mrs. Brinton was coming on from her home to spend the evening and they remained at home, unsuspecting that other relatives and friends were gathering to give them a surprise. They came a half-hundred strong and spent the evening socially after congratulations had been extended. All Mr. and Mrs. Parker's children were also at home to enjoy the celebration. The certificate signed by many 25 years ago was produced and signed by all present; several were in the assemblage last evening who had signed the certificate twenty-five years ago. There were refreshments served during the evening and in every respect this surprise was a very pleasant one. The bride and groom of 25 years were also the recipients of a number of tokens of esteem. The Deputy County Treasurer was at his official duties this morning as usual, and friends also called and extended congatulations." A Quaker lady, she still used "plain talk(thee, thy. etc)" all her life. The last of the Parkers to do so. WCDL obit 3-14-1963: "Mrs. Hattie Brinton Parker, widow of John Parker, former treasurer of Chester County and daughter of Caleb and Jane B. Brinton, died early today at the Manley Nursing Home, West Chester, where she had been a patient for 13 months. She was 87. Mrs. Parker was a direct descendent of William and Ann Brinton, who emigrated from England to Chester County in 1684. Born at Chadds Ford, Mrs. Parker had been a resident of West Chester since 1910. She finished out her late husband's term of office in 1924 and 1925 as county treasurer. She was a former member of the West Chester New Century Club. Mrs. Parker was a member of the Religious Society of Friends. Mrs. Parker was an active member of the Auxiliary of the Homeopathic Hospital, now the Memorial Hospital, West Chester. Surviving are one son, John, of 227 W. Miner St., West Chester; a brother, Victor, of Peach Bottom; eight grandchildren, 17 great-grandchildren; two children, William B. Parker and Mrs. Ruth P. Rhoads, are desceased."
Download our exceptional genealogy software for free
Fun & simple to use
Imports your GEDCOM files easily
Smart Matching™ technology
Supports 40 languages