The biography of Samuel Walker, an early resident of Reading and Woburn, was provided by Arthur G. Loring and William R. Cutter in "Samuel Walker of Woburn, Mass. and Some of his Descendants," published in New England Historical and Genealogical Register, October 1903, Volume 57, pg. 350.
Samuel Walker was a resident of Reading, Massachusetts. All of his children by his first wife were recorded there. He and his wife were admitted to the fellowship of the Reading church sometime after 26 March 1650.
Samuel Walker is first mentioned in the Woburn town records in 1655. He held several town offices during his lifetime.
Samuel Walker was an innkeeper. He petitioned the Court at Cambridge:
"To the honoured Magistrates assembled at ye County Court houlden at Cambridge
"The petition of Samuell Walker of ye Town of Wooburn Humblee Sheweth That whereas ye petitioner not longe since by advise of his friends did set upon the treade of stilling strong waters, and for ye end by reason of his wife's weaknes, purchased a place near ye meeting House where in buildage, and other Utensels for ye work, he hath expended about Two hundred pounds wch should be of little use unto him should he not goe on with ye Trade and more especiallie seeing ye petition: is resolved through Gods assistance to prevent as much as in him lies the too frequent abuse thereof, nor shall he be wantinge to observe ye bounds and rules for: should you be pleased to grant him license for the retailinge of Liquors.
"The premises considered we whos names are underwritten, humblee request this honoured Court that they would be pleased to grant ye petitioner license not only to still, But allso to sell stronge water by ye quart so long as he shall observe ye wholsam laws and rules yt Supreme power, and this Court Shall set for prventing ye abuse thereof. That so we may not be given to more remote Towns for a supply of our necesitie hearin, when we maie (if you shall be pleased to grant ye request) have Supply at home."
The petition was signed by John Knight, John Wyman, John Mousall, Jr., John Cutler, Michael Leffingwell, Joseph Wright, Francis Kendall, Jonathan Thompson, John Wilson, Joseph Carter, Robert Peirce, Isaac Cole, John Carter, James Converse, Thomas Fuller, Henry Brooks, William Johnson, Matthew Johnson, Francis Wyman, William Simonds, William Locke, Samuel Blodgett, George Reed, William Park, George Bruce, John Farrar, Edward Johnson, John Wright, Edward Converse, John Mousall Sr., James Thompson, Thomas Peirce, John Russell, Edward Winn, Bartholomew Pearson, Allen Converse, John Wright, John Tidd, Moses Cleaveland, Matthew Smith, Phillip Knight, Joseph Wright.
The petition was granted by the County Court in April 1662. Henry Summers succeeded Samuel Walker as innkeeper in Woburn in 1682.
Samuel Walker died intestate on 20 November 1684. An inventory of his estate was taken on 4 December 1684 by Joseph Wright and William Lock. The estate totalled 238 pounds, 1 shilling. The real estate included a dwelling house, barns, land, orchard, and adjoyning outher houses together with the privileges of our lands (180 pounds). The relict of Samuel Walker brought an estate of 44 pounds, 12 shillings upon marriage, so the estate was indebted for this amount. In addition, another 3 pounds 8 shilling 6 pence was added, plus 12 pounds, 17 shillings and 2 pence in silver. [Middlesex County Probate Records, Volume 6, pages 252-253 (on FHL Microfilm 0,521,762)]
Download our exceptional genealogy software for free
Fun & simple to use
Imports your GEDCOM files easily
Smart Matching™ technology
Supports 40 languages