Jefferson Thomas

Born:Mar 17 1832 In:  Moore County, North Carolina
Died:July 7 1912 (at age 80)In:  Broadway, Lee County, North Carolina
Info
Events

Photos

View album 

Immediate family

Henry Tillman Thomas
His father
Harriet Malinda Thomas (born Judd)
His mother
William John Thomas
His brother
Macklin C. Thomas
His brother
Henderson Bennett Thomas
His brother
Mary Adeline Howard (born Thomas)
His sister
Edna Elizabeth Gilchrist (born Thomas)
His sister
John Martin Beaton Thomas
His brother
Henry Tillman Thomas
His brother
Mary Frances Thomas
His sister
James Knox Polk Thomas
His brother
Malinda Pettie Thomas
His sister

Source citations

Page: Jefferson Thomas
Confidence: Secondary evidence
Date: Mar 8 2018
Citation text:
Added via a Person Discovery

Biography

[Jeff WesterII.FTW]

CENSUS: June 5, 1860 Long Street PO, Moore County, NC.

September 30, 1870 Jonesboro PO, Sloans Township, Moore County, NC.

June 19, 1880 ED 134, Jonesboro Township, Moore County, NC.

June 12, 1900 ED 80, Cape Fear Township, Moore County, NC.

April 27, 1910 ED 48, Jonesboro Township, Lee County, NC.

MILITARY: NORTH CAROLINA TROOPS 1861-1865 A Roster

CO. H, 30TH REGIMENT N. C. TROOPS

THOMAS, JEFFERSON, Private

Born in Moore County where he resided as a shoemaker prior to enlisting in Moore County at age 26, August 15, 1861. Present or accounted for until discharged on February 15, 1862, by reason of "dislocation of left arm and fracture of the clavicle." Place and date injured not reported. (North Carolina pension records indicate he was wounded at Wilmington on October 30, 1861.)

SOURCE: THE HISTORY & ARCHITECTURE OF LEE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA, by J. Daniel Pezzoni, published by the Railroad House Historical Association, Inc. (1995), p. 207:

THOMAS-HOWARD HOUSE

Off Buckhorn Road (SR 1538)

Broadway vicinity

Ca. 1866

Jefferson Thomas, who was born about 1833, is credited with building the original one-story section of this frame house, probably in the 1860s: the date 1866 is scratched into the parging on a stone chimney. In 1906, descendants S. F. and M. P. Thomas sold the 192.5-acre property to James Robert Howard, who promptly added a two-story section with a stone and brick chimney to the north gable end of the original house. Howard operated a store and a cotton gin in buildings located between the house and Buckhorn Road. John Leo Tolstoy Howard (1918-666) owned the property in more recent years.

The original section of the house has Greek Revival details, such as paneled corner pilasters and gable outriggers, and an engaged front porch supported by thick, square, slightly tapered wood pillars. The interior of the original section is sheathed in modern paneling, but the interior of the two-story addition features original tongue-and-groove sheathing and a mantel with diagonal beaded tongue-and-groove work in its frieze. The upstairs of the addition, reached by an enclosed stair, originally contained one large room partitioned off by curtains into children's bedrooms.

DEATH: Baptist Chapel Baptist Church Cemetery inscription: JEFFERSON THOMAS BORN MAR. 7, 1832 DIED JULY 7, 1912.

Ancestor search:
Search Search

Download our exceptional genealogy software for free

Fun & simple to use
Imports your GEDCOM files easily
Smart Matching™ technology
Supports 40 languages