Viewed this profile

Elwyn Soutter

Joined:May 26 2011 (4 years ago)
Rosemary McMeekin-Desjardins Thank you for your help. John w McMeekin Sr claims England for his birth. Never net my grandfather he died in 1934. On my Dad's birth certifacate it says they where married on Dec 23, 1901 Any help is appreciated since I am very new in doing this. Thanks again.
4 years ago
Elwyn Soutter The marriage certificate will give you the information you need to search for his birth, either in Scotland or in England (ie age, and parents names). But it's not available free anywhere. You have to pay for it, which is why I can't help you with it. Scotlandspeople is an easy site to use and you'll get a copy of the marriage certificate immediately. You need to buy a minimum of 30 credits which costs £7 (around US$12). That’ll get you 3 or 4 documents.

Personally, I'd get the marriage cert. Then using the information on it, I'd search the 1901 Scottish census for him (taken just 8 months before the marriage so there's a good chance he was in Scotland rather than in England). If you find him and the place of birth is Scotland, then you can search for his Scottish birth cert on the same site. If the place of birth is England, then either you need to search the English BDM site:

Or you may be able to get it from Findmypast:

Either way, you’ll need to buy the relevant certificates. The information is not available free. See how you get on, and if you need nay help, let me know.

4 years ago
Rosemary McMeekin-Desjardins Hi Ewyn,
Honestly I just read your post to me dated Aug 19,2011.
I will try that.
I have found my Grandmother so it should help.
Thanks again.
Rosemary Mather McMeekin Desjardins
4 years ago