I think one very important feature would be to support different naming systems in use in the world. For example, in Spain and all Spanish speaking countries, naming system varies from English in this way:
- All people use two family names, the first one being the first from the father, and the second, the first from the mother.
- Married women always keep their own two family names, and do not take the husband's one.
So the software should adapt by doing the following:
- When a new child is added, it should suggest the correct family names -from the father and mother.
- It should not change the family names of married women.
- For a family, it's name should be that that would be taken by the sons -ie, one from father and one from mother.
I suppose in other languages there could be different naming schemas, for example Portuguese I think is similar but changing order.
Spanish speaking community is quite ample, so this would be a very useful improvement.
Other improvements I see, is to be able to edit online family names created with FTE tool - synchronizing in both ways between the changes in the tool and in the web.
Thank you very much for your suggestion. We're currently working on the possibility of displaying different variants of names as well as synchronizing the work of FTB and site and hope that the changes will soon be available on the site.
I thaught about the something the same. It would be nice to set the rules for family names by users theirselves. In Russia women take husband's or father's surname "a" at the end. I dont speak about women's surnames in Litva - they have different endings.