I live in Australia in the GMT 10 timezone so by the time i get my upcoming-event email reminders, it's the day of the event here, rather than the day before as it would be for most of the other users of this site.
It would be useful to be able to change the time zone setting to my location, and also set the reminders to be delivered a few days ahead rather than the day before. I need more notice if the reminder service is to be truly useful.
I have sent these to the myheritage.com team, however, I felt that sharing these publicly for everyone's feedback would be helpful.
here are some ideas, suggests, feature requests I have been thinking about in some order of priority
i believe that a two-way sync at this point is extremely imporant to adopt into FTB. It has been "coming soon" for qutie some time. but a comprehensive facility to sync all info, photos, etc btween the website adn the software would be a great help.
though my family (and a couple of others i know) uses the website, it is merely used from time to time to take a look at the tree. other than that they use social media platforms as myspace, and hi5, and facebook etc for everyday communication. i think if myheritage.com coordinates with meebo.com and inserts a widget such that whenever someoen logs on to their myheritage page, the widget gets activated with their info that they would have to put in once, and then they would be connected to all their chat services.
myheritage.com needs to become ipod touch/iphone/blackberry friendly. mobile browsing is becomign the thing to do, more and more websites are optimized for mobile use. it is only intuitive that m.myheritage.com is launched soon :)
in the features such as celebrity look alikes, look alike meter etc... there should be an option to pick a picture from the uploaded ones, rather than uploading new pictures.
as you and your team must know, web based, and desktop based software development is moving towards constant feedback from users to a relatively opensource sort of environment. frequent beta-release updates to the software is better than an annual major update. this way, users can inform of bugs, and test of features, and let you know which features can be tweaked, and how, and which are not used.
being able to log in using openID, google ID, or facebook connect platform would make it EVEN easier for people to log on. and they will be able to use google docs, etc, services to post links, documents, pictures etc.
these are just some ideas ive been thinking about. will write about more as they come.
i think releasing beta candidates to the public can be extrememly useful in rectifying bugs.
to me, these seem to be the order of the day. however, i am sure the wonderful development team has a plan :)
its good to be in touch with users through the blog as well.
hope this will be helpful in making myheritage.com and FTB ... EVEN better. :)
Please tell them for me that the first two points of the poster should be your TOP priority. Otherwise you will remain the least useful genealogy site to which I subscribe.
I post my data here and other family members post corrections and additions. Then I can neither access that data nor download it (I'm told by other members -- but not staff -- that is true UNLESS I built my database using their products.)
I paid five years in advance because I bought the advertising hype. All I can say is, "This buyer should have bewared."
My future spending will be on sites that offer two-way sync.
I invite relatives to post corrections/additions. I get a notice they have done so but I cannot do anything but view the changes/additions. If I "print" I get a message saying it is generating a message and to watch for it in my inbox -- I never see it. If I download my GEDCom, the changes/additions are not in it (I get the GEDCom I originally uploaded.) If I use Family Tree Builder to access my on-line data I see only the GEDCom I originally uploaded.
The only way I have been able to "download" the information is to copy it by hand and then enter it into my own database -- a not very useful method.
I agree with the first poster about the 2 way sync being crucial for the contintued success of extending the useage of both the web and the FTB software!
Please corect me if I'm wrong in the way to work at the moment:
1) I make my tree with the FTB software
2) I export the GETCOM to an online editable version
3) I let my invitees correct that version online and in the mean time I cannot change in the FTB software(?)
4) I then export the online version again as GETCOM and import into the FTB software for further update.
1. When contact information for a family is being entered, it would be wise to have an option to add the same contact info to the spouse and / or children and /or other family members. It will save a lot of time and also avoid multiple recoreds of the same place due to minor variations like space & / or punctuation marks
2. In the people page, it would be better if we can sort on living, deceased, married etc categories.
3. The photo tagging & removal of people from the photo should be available from the photo itself & on any page - currently, tagging is available at one place & removing people from picture is available at another place.
4. A live help chat would be useful to sort out issues faced by the members (at least for premium members) as otherwise, help is almost not available
5. In the invite more members, the existing members names should not be displayed as it causes confusions. though it would make sense to display members who have never logged in so fresh invitations could be sent
6. The upcoming events should have customisation possibility of what, what not, & how many events to be displayed - as I encountered an issue - I would want my deceased father's birth date to be displayed, but for someone else who does not want to be reminded of deceased people's events as they would get upset - as in case of young deceased members - so the customised display of event for each member would be useful
7. The mails to th einbox should be downloadedable to outlook or similar softwares
8. A universal format for address book should be introduced to enable manage the contacts.
9. Synchronisation between FTB & online site should be possible
10. features on FTB & online site should be identical - at least for premium members so data can be synchronised & edited at ease & conveniently
will be back with more after some of these issues are attended to
It happens often that children are found and added later to a family so they get a higher ID while birthdate is sometimes earlier. When i publish my GEDCOM on a local Dutch site, children are sorted to INDI numbers which are equal to the internal ID's.
So an option to sort internal ID's according to birthdate or even to change them by hand to a not yet used number would be a nice option. This also sometimes applies to a second marriage which was found later on.
It would be very difficult to reorganize all the IDs of all individuals in the database. I am not sure though what is the benefit of this. The IDs are really internal and not that relevant. Why is it important to you?
Sorted id's are important to me because they are also used in the same order in the exported GEDCOM file which i use to publish my tree on a free dutch website. This website sorts children to id instead of year of birth.
I would consider publishing my tree on myheritage but the disadvantage is that my tree is not found by google in that way and for me it's just too expensive, i have just 520 persons in my tree just above the free limit.
i thought i would dedicate today to filling in all the people for homw i haven't noted relationships on the website. I noticed that, while the autocomplete is quite helpful as it is, the names dont always come up e.g. if a middle name is excluded or included. I enetered my uncle's name "naveed sheikh" and nothing came up, i entered NAV... and it ithe first option it gave me was autocompleted to "naveed mughis sheikh" it should search each individual name and show them wherever it appears, middle names, kids' last names etc...