A key ancestor of mine had three marriages and a child with a fourth partner (that I had to call a marriage). For some reason the four "marriages" do not display (the little boxes at the side of the person's spouse icon) in the order of marriage. This is very confusing to work with and I am unable to change it. It seems to me the "marriages" should show in order by date of marriage.
Also, there should be a better distinction between a marriage and a partnership/relationship. Lots of ancestors had children but never married.
I don't know if this has been suggested or not, but I think a feature that should be added is to be able to differentiate gender by border color when generating a chart. Currently we can color by gender but then it looks wierd if there are two different colors but not a matching border.
I would love to see a feature that would allow site members to attach documents to people in the family tree to allow quick access to historical information such as obituary's, news clips and other data when browsing the family tree.
One additional note, no limit on text size is listed on comments and when this data it appears intact for a day but when comming back to the site the data is truncated to about a paragraphs worth of text. If a limit exists it should clearly show to the right or bottom how many characters are remaing so members dont loose time posting data to the tree. I have had several complaints about this from family that are helping to post historical data to the site in an effort to preserve some of our family history on the web.
We are all very exicited about the My Heritage site as a way of getting the family connected. Already I have heard from relatives I didnt know were still alive. Thank you!
I couldn't agree with U more. There worried about the integrity of the tree. But if the owner is notified that a site member made or changed an entry, I don't see a problem. After all the owner of the site has to add the site member. There's a lot of info. that the owner does not have at his disposal.
My Heritage is a great site and as word of mouth gets around people would appreciate the effort that one has put into it.
1. It could be useful that FTB understands that if there's a marriage, the address and phone number recorded for one spouse should -by default- be the same of both spouses,
2. moreover: if there is a marriage with kids or a single parent of a <=15 child, there's a good chance the address of the parent should be the same one of her/his child.
3. if there is any contact information of an individual that passed away, the mail address could be consider instead of a contact information (in the address list) a fact information with the death date as the "since date" of that fact.
Hi! It's really annoying to read the name of the country as Belarussia instead of Belarus in the Russian verstion on the site.
One more question. Is it somehow possble to introduce Belarusian version (there are all languages of our neighbours there: Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania, Poland) . That would be great! If you need some help, I am sure there will be people who would like to help.
We have a family tree going back to the 1500's. We use the online site. With the size of the tree, we do have some people who are linked on opposite sides of a tree. My aunt who has done alot of the inputting, has built the tree up on both sides, but we now realize there is alot of duplication. In fact, some people now show up 3 times because of the "linking".
I saw that Family Tree Builder has an "attach" feature, but I didn't see a solution for the online version. Can you please help? We have countless hours of typing and inputs, and will most likely spend an equal amount trying to unravel this mess.
I have the same issue with my family tree, where individuals are connected on another side of a family by a marriage or a birth. Having the attach feature that is on FTB would be helpful on the online version, especially if you imported a GEDCOM file in order to allow for others to update the family tree as well.
1) I have my site as completely "public" - open to guests to view entire tree. I just now set it that way, because it was set to "mixed" - so far, when viewing the tree, it still shows some persons as "private such and such" - Are such changes dependent upon your "site refresh interval?" If so, you should let members know that fact.
2) BADLY needed "multiple-spouse" capability. I have yet to see any GEDCOM or other genealogy product recognize the fact that MANY PEOPLE have MULTIPLE SPOUSES throughout their lives - i.e. my mother was married SIX times - thus she would have spouse1 - spouse6 - and each would be connected to a different set of half-siblings, for example.
3) OPEN YOUR SEARCH COMPLETELY! When you *** REQUIRE *** people to register JUST TO 'SEARCH' for their family members, it HIGHLY DISCOURAGES them from joining! Look at MySpace as an example - they let you SEARCH FREELY to your heart's content - but when you want to POST/SAVE anything or contact members - THEN, AND ONLY THEN, are you required to register! You would see membership GREATLY INCREASE, if you allow FREE, OPEN, UNREGISTERED SEARCHES! This would be a ******* H-U-G-E ****** improvement and draw for your site!
I would like to submit 2 suggestions/options for GENERATING CHARTS:
1). BOX FORMATS & STYLES: for male/female to be independent of one another so (similar to differing/independent color options) I could select different styles for respective sex (i.e. standard rectangle for male, and a rectangle with squared corners [octagonal] for females) or other various style options, so if one does not choose to use color on a chart, the males and females can be more readily differentiated. [looks nice, too].
2). When generating charts, allow/create options for user to select certain individuals and/or family groups specific to users needs rather than only allowing choices through close family/or number of generations, etc. Close family does not give me (& I imagine many others, also) the right people, and when I choose 2, 3, or 4 generations it either gives not enough or too many people for what I want to create in a family tree chart -- so if user is allow to select/or de-select certain individuals, or even a family group, from a drop down box (or similar menu), charts could be more specific and directly relevant to more users.
Thanks-- you have a great product/service..... Scotsgirl2
About half of our family tree contains Swedish people, the other half Dutch. I wrote welcome-messages in two languages. It would be nice if it in some way would be possible to show the Swedish text to the Swedish readers and the Dutch text to the Dutch readers. There must be a lot multilingual families in MyHeritage who would like to use this feature.
Thanks for the quick answer. I know that the standard text will be translated if i don't modify it.. I understand it would be difficult to handle modified welcometexts in different languages. BUT...If it would be possible to fix that people get the modified text only if they log in with that language and the standard text (translated) if they log in with any other language that would make it a lot better than now. (There is even a small Bulgarian branch on my tree.. It would be nice if they get the standard Bulgarian text when they log in instead of my modified swedish text). It could be a choice in the preferences - you may choose between; "Show always my modified text whoever log in" and "show the standard text (translated) when people from other countries log in". Maybe an idea?