You can do it the same way that you would do it for a photo. (See the attached images below for both an example on the site and on the Family Tree Builder)
On the site:
1. Click on the 'Photos' tab.
2. On the page that opens, find the PDF or Word document that has been uploaded and click on it.
3. On the page that opens with the details and visualization of the document, click on the "Add a person" button on the right side and then start typing the name of the person, and selec the option that appears from the tree.
On the Family Tree Builder:
1. Click on the 'Photos' button on the top toolbar
2. On the Photos section, find the document (PDF or Word) and double-click on it.
3. On the window that opens, click on the "Association" tab.
4. Then, click on the "Associate" button and find the person you would like to associate to that document.
These are the steps you need to take, if a certain individual was entered twice into the tree:
1. Sort the list of individuals in your project by first name, to help you find the duplicate:
2. Go to the card with the least amount of information and carefully copy any notes, photos, citations, etc. Then delete this card by clicking on the ‘Edit’ button, and then selecting ‘Person’ and ‘Delete person’.
3. Go to the remaining card of this individual, and use the ‘Attach’ feature to connect him/her to all the individuals that were disconnected from the deleted card.
Smart genealogy applications have a special command to merge two selected individuals (lines in GEDCOM file) and then user can just remove duplicate items from the result. Links to other individuals remain as such.
We are aware that the current method of handling duplicated material is not the best. Our developers are working hard at producing a more efficient way of handling this procedure and we hope to have this included in future upgrades to the software.
We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you.
I am adopted and just found my birth parents. I created the tree here from my birth parents' tree and was wanting to add my adoptive parents tree. (see Geni.com for an example of this), but was unable to.
I would like to request that you add this capability.
Two changes to Forum posting methods would greatly improve things for followers: (1) When an individual poster's Reply button is picked, add the reply post to the end of the thread -- not within the thread adjacent to the point where the Reply button was selected; and (2) Use the most recent Reply time in the initial topic subject line rather than preserving the opener's original post time.
I totally agree with you that the topic order in all forums should be in "most recent reply" order, this might make more people use the forums, which is the excuse that MH use for not doing any changes to these forums.
But until others chime in MH will just ignore their customers, saying that there not any call for changes :@
1. I do support the request to fix post order on the forum "Product suggestions".
2. I am thinking about the threory of changes. We are humans, humand are making changes just in two cases: a) they feel real danger; b) they see and feel crystal clear benefit. I am realistic person, fixing post order does not fit neither of case.
Disclosure: This is not offensive post against My Heritage Inc., this is defensive post of My Heritage Inc. Forum User.
I thought might be interested in this novel idea.
I have two genealogy files (and my friend has 4, sorted by location). One is my complete file of everyone and hints and guesses. And the other one a file I put out on the Internet trolling for matches, a file for those I am especially interested in. So here is what I need: a program where if I make an entry in one file, it automatically makes the same entry in the other if that person is in both files. So if I add a child of a person X in both files, that entry is made in both. If I add a child or parent to person Y in a file but Y is not in both files, then the entry only goes into my big storeroom file. I am happy for the program to only work in one direction (or you could set up in which direction it would work). But I think a lot of people would find this of value. Not sure how this would work with 3 files, but you could think that through.
please let me ask if you are talking about FTB project files, please confirm.
Are you using My Heritage Online ? If not, why not ?
Please let me share my experience. I have one verified tree on separate site. I have research trees (including unverified content) on different research site. I am not willing to put X person to two trees automated way without my control (verification).
My feeling is that appropriate improvements could be:
A. SmartInternalMatch within the site between two or more trees.
B. SmartExternalMatch between the (specified) trees of sites of the same user.
OK Arvidas, I will look into SM Internal and SM External and see what already exists, but your idea sounds a good one. I think people who write software do so with those tables in mind when they sell software, where you tick a box for each different thing you do, even if no one will ever do that thing. I use 4 different software packages for different things, but cannot do what I have suggested.
No I dont use MH online; I find most modern software packages are too hard to learn, they are not intuitive. They are designed to wow new users. I use an old Family Tree Maker which does not have a lot of bells but has what you want near at hand. I would use newer software if you could put bits of it in a drawer, llike you do on a real desktop. I cannot see why you cannot move the things you want to where you want them, and hide things you dont want so you dont have to read through them every time you are looknig for something. It is like cluttered notice boards that no one reads as they are too clutterd. I tried MHeritage when it first came out but my brain is different from that of a computer writer. That's why not.
To add to what you say:
I have research trees (including unverified content) on different research site. I am not willing to put X person to two trees automated way without my control (verification).
When I have something varified, I want to put it on your/my varified tree and also have it automatically entered on the unvarified tree with come comment that it is verified. I never want to the reverse. My unvarified tree will be about 10 times bigger than the varified tree.