If I remember right, I have been posting the request/proposal for additional page or attachement to be accessible from Home screen of MH ONLINE.
I do not remember if we have received MH feedback regarding request/proposal.
I do not find this post anymore, therefore I am reposting anew.
Every site has certain formal and informal rules what is good praxis to do and what is not good praxis to do. All theses set of rules, requirements can be named "Requirements, standard for site content". Because of this set of the requirements is individual to the site, it must be free editable by site administrator.
Within current site I do not find the place where I could place this information to be addressed to all members of the site. Therefore I do express the request - proposal for the development to develope either:
A. Additional free editable (for site administrators) HTML page, whereas site administrator can put whatever information he need.
B. (preferable) Option to attach any file to Hello message (Site Account > Settings > Home page > Wellcome message). Current site allow to attach the image file. The need is to have the option to attach PDF or RTF file to be opened from the Home screen (or hyperlink to option A).
MH feedback is welcome.
Support for the idea-proposal expressed by users of MH forumis anticipated.
Regarding free editable text on the site, you can use the option 'Article' which you can find under the 'Apps' tab.
If you do not see it at the moment, you can activate it like so:
1. Click on your name on the top right corner of the site and click on 'Site settings'
2. On the page that opens, on the top menu, click on 'Content'.
3. On the Content section, check the box referring to the option 'News articles and stories'.
4. Click on the 'Save' button on the bottom, to save your settings.
Now you will be able to find the 'Articles' option under the 'Apps' tab. With that tool, you can create articles that are HTML editable and which will appear on the site homepage section 'News articles' that is on the bottom of the homepage, below the 'Family News' and 'Random photos' sections.
thank you for the suggestion, however you offer "push email to the user" but i am seeking "get the document on demand", I prefer the second option because all of us we are reciving far too much emails.
To have the ability to sort these by relationship, instead of having to scroll through hundred's of matches
To have matches that have been confirmed drop off the list, it's in possible to know if the matches in ftb are old or new, if the old ones dropped off would be much easier to manage aND take less time to go through just the new ones.
This is the repost of the suggestion for product further development.
Disclosure: Before my repost I have reviewed my post carefully and I do confirm that it does not include a smallest offensive insinuation to the address of MH company or MH team and inlcude product developement suggestion only.
07/10/2015 13:03 - Arvidas Neniškis wrote:
Dear MH Team, this is my proposal for development direction.
In my previous posts I was offereing to implement extended access rights control, I do confirm, this is valid.
I suggest to consider every MH OBJECT (Person, Event, Note, Photo, Biography, etc.) to have access rights attributes. It must be implemented at infrastructure level. Depending on access atribute value, the object can be accessed by me, my closest relatives, 2nd wave, etc.
Moreover, MH OBJECT should have its PUBLISHING PROCESS.
E.g. Current process: You create raw Biography, which is far too early to publish, this text (including sensitive information) is spread via DiscoveryTools on internet immediatelly with no chance to edit it.
Ideal process: You create raw MH OBJECT, it has status "In process", you edit it, the status became "Prepared", you receive permission of closest relatives to publish the text, MH OBJECT becoming "Published". On the other hand (Im an not the lawyer) but to my understanding I can not to publish the information (or opinion) abour anotehr person without permission (autorisation) of this person relatives.
You may answer that this is not MH business, but I will respond that this is great opportunity for MH to create platform for correcf collaboration with correct collaboration process. While implementing this, the MH plaform will be the right platform to create, to edit and to publish the information (or opinion). Without this feature the system does not motivate to use it and to collaborate.
I think the problem with both the MH site and FTB is that use a very 'primative' database of flat files so that give attributes to objets can only be done at file level. But I do agree with you that if the database had been properly 'normalised' via SSADM your suggestion would have been simple to implement.
Have you thought that these two peope must have been partners at one time then there was a seperation later on? Both of which are in the current process of 'add a partner' and then add a fact 'seperation'; ie you can't be and 'ex' something without being that something beforehand ;)
Today in my local library I happened across the Genealogy section (I confess I had never been in that corner of the library before, nor is any of the holdings in the card catalog - it is a little section unto itself) and as I browsed through the books and whatnot I realized that they were all stored by location; by country or by state with the expection of a small group of books about single family names.
This got me to thinking about my newly discovered obsession (this website) and how I might make good use of the informaiton in the library and it occured to me that what would make searching this type of collection easier would be to be able to see which ancestors were in what location when. "Oh look, here's a book on Hampshire County, Massachusetts in the 1800's, do I have anybody that came from there?"
Is there a way to sort my information in this manner already? Did I miss it?
Is there a search function that will do this?
And if there isn't a way to do this may I please add it to the wish list of features?
You could either just type the location in the search field (in the list of persons, not in the tree) or use "advanced search" (or whatever it is in English, I'm using the Swedish interface of MH) to specify that it is a location you're searching for.
I was happy reading your post while finding that I am not the only person who need this.
Place is 3rd dimension in falimy tree and additional parameter for proving perno's identity. Current data structure does not allow to have 3rd dimension of the tree although there is an attibutes of place of birth, place of living and place of death.
Please let me share how I did in my research.
NB: the suggestions below is not an good idea for the official family tree but works perfectly in my research tree.
1. Consider place being person of unknown sex.
2. Create tree of places (World > Europe, America >> ..., Canada, USA >>> ...., ..., Illinoois, Arizona, >>>> ...) down to the smallest fracture you wish to do the research (my smallest fracture is village).
3. Create a vertical ancestors-descendants tree of smallest place in 30 years increment (see the picture atn the end of post). Tip: Start form the latest "child", e.g. "Chicago 1960", create ancestors back to e.g. "Chicago 1600", connect "Chicago 1600" to "Illinois".
4. Consider place being "Foster father" of the person and/or person being "Foster child" of the place. Connect your person to the place with foster relationship, e.g. Peter (b.1810) who born in ... and arrived to Chicago, connect to "Chicago 1780". Tip: you can create relationship in MyHeritage ONLINE, but this is rather tricky, I would suggest to start playing with offline project, with FTB.
I've seen that it is possible to tag several people in a picture. I'd appreciate a similar feature in notes and events (or perhaps a possibility to add notes and events in bulk to several people).
For instance, if a family with seven children moves, it is slightly tedious to add the move and the new address to all nine people individually. It would be easier to add the event once and then tagging all the people involved.
It would also be interresting to tag people as godparents, groomsmen and bridesmaids etc, or who was a beneficiary in a will. And also who worked as colleauges, were neighbours etc.
You can do it the same way that you would do it for a photo. (See the attached images below for both an example on the site and on the Family Tree Builder)
On the site:
1. Click on the 'Photos' tab.
2. On the page that opens, find the PDF or Word document that has been uploaded and click on it.
3. On the page that opens with the details and visualization of the document, click on the "Add a person" button on the right side and then start typing the name of the person, and selec the option that appears from the tree.
On the Family Tree Builder:
1. Click on the 'Photos' button on the top toolbar
2. On the Photos section, find the document (PDF or Word) and double-click on it.
3. On the window that opens, click on the "Association" tab.
4. Then, click on the "Associate" button and find the person you would like to associate to that document.