What is the best way to create a data base where members can easily check which names relate to what family branch?
Once a tree gets quite large, mine is now approaching 8000 with many family branches. Names start to become meaningless to the various family branch members.
ie. I might get a record match which throws up a new name by marriage. After including in the tree it will show on the 'Home' page but members will not easily be able to check exactly who's family that new person relates too.
Even I, even working with it almost every day, often cannot now recognise many names or decide on their relationship within the tree.
I suspect most will suggest an excel spreadsheet but I cannot decide how to go about it.
I had noticed that when I got a list of all my familys birthdays for the month of December my fathers birthday which is or was December 18, 1939. My father had passed a little over a year ago, but we still honor his Birthday as well as the day he passed. Is there any way that can me put back on our family website?
It would be nice if you could remember your relative on the date of his death, or on his birthday or indeed both; but I suppose Ingrid has the solution and it is something you would not do for a lot of people, just the close and special ones. So it would not be a lot of trouble.
In Family Tree Builder, it is possible to choose a DISPLAY language and a DATA ENTRY language.
DISPLAY language corresponds to all the buttons and command names in the program. DISPLAY language changes Family Tree Builder’s interface only and will not affect any information that you have manually entered in the tree.
DATA ENTRY language corresponds to the information you enter into the tree yourself. Names, places, notes, etc. are considered DATA.
Family Tree Builder allows you to enter data in Primary Data language, and Secondary Data language.
The problem you describe occurs when you enter data in two different languages into the Family Tree Builder program and then synchronize it to your online family site. Within Family Tree Builder you can see two data languages when you open a persons detail card. In some cases you might enter data in one language and leave the other language empty.
Now when you synchronize your tree to your online family site, the tree view can display only one language at once. This means that for all data that was entered in a second language, it will display UNKNOWN in the family tree and in SmartMatches.
In order to resolve this issue, please follow these steps:
1. Open Family Tree Builder on your PC and open your project.
2. Open the Tools window by going to Tools menu > Languages in the upper toolbar.
3. In the window that appears, make sure that the checkbox "Same as Display Language" is checked.
This will make sure that the display language is the same as the (first) data language.
4. Now please do a right click somewhere in that window. A small menu appears, click on the item in it "Manage Data Languages"
5. You will notice that you have different amounts of items in the listed languages. You have to make them equal.
6. Select the first language in the list and click on the button 'Copy'.
7. In the new window you select the 'Copy To' to the other language and click on the button 'Copy'.
8. When the copy is done, select the second language in the list and click again on the button 'Copy'.
9. In the next window you select the 'Copy To' to the other language and click on the button 'Copy'.
With above steps you make sure, that in both languages in your project you have all available data.
I hope that this will resolve your issue. Please inform me on your progress on following above steps and, of course, do not hesitate to contact me again, should you need any further assistance.