I had a good scoot around online for potential issues and noted that although Internet Explorer was downloaded on my laptop, I am actually using Google Chrome. So I have uninstalled IE and it appears to have rectified the problem!
There is one other option, but it will be rather time consuming. Compare the older versions to the newest version to see if you have all the info from the older versions on your newer version, and if so, just delete the first two versions. This will keep others from getting three smart matches for each person, instead of the one good match.
I have a family tree compiled for purposes of historical research that includes a number of individuals with titles. There are individuals whose name changes several times in a life-time - Mr X, Lord Y, Earl of Z, etc. How do people usually use the Family Tee Builder template to reord all these changes of name most conveniently?
Thanks for your help. I guess MyHeritage must have been created by denizens of a democratic culture where everyone is equal and needs only one name! I'll adopt your method - who knows, it may be a MyHeritage Standard. For display purposes, I always have the option of publishing charts as .JPGs and then putting them onto Powerpoint displays with additional text. But, of course, that additional text becomes a pain to maintain.
Only problem I see with that idea is that you would be showing the person several times as his own sibling. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that titles affect smart matches, as long as first and last names don't change. I simply use the highest rank of the title in the tree and show the other info in notes, ie Commodore instead of Captain, etc.
Okay, Using FBT I tried it; Opened the 'card' of an ancestor, clicked the 'Main" tab, clicked on Names, clicked on Prefix. The only prefixes already in the drop-down menu were Dr., Prof., Rabbi, Rev. and Sir; so I typed Lord in the blank space and clicked Okay. It worked. And having already entered the title Dr. in this way I can say it does not affect matches or the Quick Find function...
From an imported GEDCOM file, I have several names of the form Jr. first-name last-name. They are all sons of a first-name last-name. In FTB, I can add "Jr." as a proper suffix, and the suffix is added at the end of name. But the incorrectly leading "Jr." remains. How can I corract this anomaly?
Thanks for the tip, Geoff, but that didn't work. However, your suggestion did put me in the right neighborhood: on the Main form, there is a Names.. button; when I clicked that button, I was presented with an alternate form where the "Jr." appeared in a "Prefix" field. Deleting "Jr." as a prefix did the trick!
Since the first release of version 7 there have been a number of updates to this particular version due to a few little problems. Like most softwares they are not fail safe as we all would like them to be and are suseptable to glitches from time to time.
You are more than welcome to log into your online family site and scroll to the bottom of the home page and click on Family Tree Builder from the download section. This iwll let you download and install the latest version of the software.
I would advise however first making a backup of your database to your computer so that you have a reliable source of information should anything go wrong with your new FTB version.
Also please be assured that if you do run into any problems then you are only an email away from getting the support you require for any of the problems you may come across and our dedicated team will be on hand to help you the need arise.
There are a couple of bugs worth mentioning that I have noticed and been annoyed by:
PC application running on win7 x64
1. Large bitmaps > 10mb seem to make FTB think the database is massive and can inflate the sync size to 100's of mb over what it is causing upload to fail everytime. Solution I did when I found out (eventually) what it was is to convert the bmp to jpg. Error is in however FTB evaluated the bmp filesize for transfer.
I kept getting error 94 unspecified error (I think, since the log has overwritten)
2. Sync (Publishing) > Sync Settings > Advanced Sync Settings > Select Photos to Upload (Select Photos radio button) does not work in win 7 x64 in thumbnail view without clicking the radio button for table view then back to thumbnail.
When adding records if not all data is copied by pressing >> buttons the I sometimes get "%1 field" or "%name" cannot be copied and the import fails.
What I would like to see as an improvement is for census records to allow import of the census scanned document as an image but marked as a document and applied to every person in the import.