FERDINAND WUSSOW was born 8 December 1835, son of Gottlieb and Wilhelmine (Schroeder) Wussow, who came from Reckow Kreis Kammin in Pomerania. (The name of that place in Prussia would now have a Polish spelling since WWII). Gottlieb Wussow was a blacksmith.
He brought his wife and six children to this country in 1839, according to P. William Filby's Passenger and Immigration Lists Index: 1982-1985 Cumulation. At this time Gottlieb was 40, Wilhelmine was 38, Karoline 15, August 10, Wilhelmine 9, Gottlieb 7, Ferdinand 5, and Henriette 1.
On 20 December 1854, there was a land transaction involving John Wussow, as grantee, and Ferdinand Wussow and his wife Louise in Sheboygan County (Vol. 11). The description was N of NE,
Range 21, 13, and 15, 15-508. Several days after, on 4 January 1855, there was another record of this property which appears to be a mortgage involving Peter Zimmer, In 1889 a Plat Book shows Ferdinand Wussow owner of 120 acres, NE i of Section 13, T13N R21E. It is not known when he left this farm which was in Sherman Township.
Their children were all born while they lived on this farm, the last one in 1883. Their baptisms were all recorded at St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Random Lake, also the confirmations of the first 12 children. This church originally was built in 1855, about two miles from town, on what became Route 57. In 1958 a new church was built in town. The spire of the original church was mounted in the cemetery at the first site. This is where the parents of Louise (Dietz) Wussow are buried.
Henry Dietz related that Ferdinand Wussow in later years owned a threshing machine near Milwaukee and would hire out to farmers at harvest time. This has not been verified.
By 1900 Ferdinand was living at 1505 Center Street in Milwaukee. Though still living, his wife Louise was not listed in the city directory. (Females were not included until years later unless they were employed.) In 1901 his sons Walter, a salesman, and Edwin, a carpenter, were also listed at that address. Only Ferdinand is listed in 1911.
By 1919 two working, single daughters were with him, Elizabeth and Amanda, and were still there in 1912. Ferdinand died in 1920, but Amanda stayed on at that address until 1929.
Louise died 28 May 1903 and Ferdinand 27 October 1920, both in Milwaukee. They are buried in Wanderers' Rest Cemetary, Lot 5, Block 59, Section B, at 6400 West Burleigh, Milwaukee.
Download our exceptional genealogy software for free
Fun & simple to use
Imports your GEDCOM files easily
Smart Matching™ technology
Supports 40 languages