Dtrs by another marriage: Jane Penman Townsend, Christina Penman Montgomery. Sons by another marriage: George Penman, James Penman
Generation No. 3
3. GEORGE3 PENMAN (GEORGE2, GEORGE1) was born 14 May 1714 in Torryburn, Fife, Scotland, and died 1804 at Port Hill Farm, PEI. He married (1) CHRISTIAN HUNTER 07 Dec 1733 in Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland. He married (2) MARY MARGARET EDGAR 06 Jan 1751 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland. She died Bef. 1770. He married (3) MARY COLE.
More About GEORGE PENMAN:
Military service: 1758, Siege of Louisburg. & elsewhere as "Payroll Master" or "Paymaster."
Occupation: 1758, "Payroll Master" with Lord Rollo on landing in PEI.
Settled in Lot 13, PEI, before 1775. (He signed a court document in PEI in 1775.)
Note: The above appears logical but, while we know that a George Penman served in this quasi-military capacity with Rollo, we cannot positively determine that he is the same George Penman that settled in Lot 13 and died there in 1804. As George Penman’s name has not been found on military rolls, one source suggests that, during this period, the civilian firm "Couts & Co" was providing pay services to the British Army. Whether George was an employee of this firm warrants further investigation. Also, being closely associated with Rollo, it is unlikely that George Penman remained with the small garrison in Charlottetown after 1758 but departed to continue in Rollo’s service.
Child of GEORGE PENMAN and CHRISTIAN HUNTER is:
Note: While not substantiated, the above marriage appears to be correct, as there is other evidence of association between the Penmans and the Hunters. Also, variations of the name "Christian" appear in later generations of Penman children. More important – could George Penman (b. 1745), not his father, the Payroll Master, have been the Lot 13 settler?
Children of GEORGE PENMAN and MARY EDGAR are:
6. ii. NANCY4 PENMAN, b. 1768, New England; d. 02 Aug 1837.
7. iii. ELIZABETH PENMAN, b. Abt. 1769; d. 1849, North Bedeque, PEI.
8. iv. MARGARET PENMAN, b. Abt. 1771.
Children of GEORGE PENMAN and MARY COLE are:
9. v. CHRISTIANA PENMAN, b. Abt. 1773; d. 18 Oct 1811.
10. vi. JANE PENMAN, b. Abt. 1776; m. JAMES TOWNSEND.
Note: As neither the death date of Mary Edgar or the marriage date of George Penman and Mary Cole are known, it is impossible to identify whether a given daughter’s mother was Mary Edgar or Mary Cole.
Download our exceptional genealogy software for free
Fun & simple to use
Imports your GEDCOM files easily
Smart Matching™ technology
Supports 40 languages