When you install a new version of the Family Tree Builder (FTB) program, the program will automatically recognize and find the tree file that you have been working on. For your information, trees in FTB are also called Projects. Once FTB recognizes the project, it will open the tree / project and you will be able to continue working on it without any problems.
However, there some cases that you will need to “help” the program to find the FTB file. Here are some tips to help you do that:
1. You can use the Family Tree Builder program to search for the tree. To do so, please open the program, go to main toolbar and click on Open.
This will show you a list of all the projects on your computer. Just click once on the project you want to open and click on Next. If there are no projects in the list, use the Browse button to search for a project on your computer.
2. If you saved the project on a specific folder on your computer, you can use the ‘Restore Project’ option. Click on File > Restore Project and either direct FTB to the relevant folder or FTB will automatically direct itself to the right folder.
3. If the program didn’t recognize any projects at all, you can look for them on your computer. Usually family tree files are located on your local computer in: C:Documents and SettingsXXXX (Your PC Name) >My Documents > MyHeritage > XXXX (Your Tree Name) >Database.
4. If you still can’t find it, you can search your PC for *.UZED files. This is the extension of Family Tree Builder files.
5. If after trying all the above steps, FTB still can’t find the tree file, you can download it from the website.
Open a browser and log into your family site on MyHeritage.com, then go to the Family Tree tab > Manage Trees page in your Family Site.
Choose the tree that you are interested in downloading, and click on the Download to Family Tree Builder link to the right of it. You can then choose to either save the tree, or open it immediately in Family Tree Builder.
Once you have the file downloaded, double click on the file to open it. This should restore your entire project. When the project will open, it will prompt you to restore photos.
Please note that this option is only available if you have previously synced the tree to the website.