If you use Family Tree Builder to build your tree, please read the following article: How can I attach / detach existing people in Family Tree Builder?
Sometimes it’s necessary to create or remove relationship between existing people in your tree without adding or deleting them.
Here are a few examples when you may need doing this:
- Show marriage between relatives (e.g. attach cousins as spouses without listing any of them in the tree twice)
- Add connection / fix wrong connection between children, parents or spouses
- Move an entire branch in the family tree
In such cases you should use ‘Connect / Remove connection’ feature:
‘Connect’, as opposed to ‘Add’, lets you draw a connecting line between two people who are already in the tree.
‘Remove connection’ removes that connection without deleting any of the individuals.
To remove connection between two people:
2. Choose ‘Remove connection’.
3. A side panel will open up, with two options: disconnect person from a parent or from a partner:
Note: You cannot disconnect person from a child. Instead you should open child’s card and disconnect him/her from parents.
In order to connect people in your online family tree:
2. Choose ‘Connect to existing person’:
A side panel will open up, with three options: connect person to a parent, to a partner or to a child.
Choose the relevant option.
3. Start typing the name of the individual in the tree you want to connect the person to. Select the correct name from the list in the drop-down menu.
4. If you choose to attach to a parent, you will need to choose the relevant spouse (if the parent has more than one spouse):
Note: It is not possible to connect person A and B as siblings. Instead, you will need to connect both to the same parents – which will make them siblings.