If you edit your tree online, please read the following article: How can I attach / detach existing people in my online family tree?
Sometimes it is necessary to create or remove relationship between existing people in your tree without adding or deleting them.
Here are a few examples when you may need doing this:
- Show marriage between relatives (e.g. attach cousins as spouses without listing any of them in the tree twice)
- Fix a wrong connection between children and parents
- Move an entire branch in the family tree
In such cases you should use ‘Attach / Detach’ feature:
‘Attach’, as opposed to ‘Add’, lets you draw a connecting line between two people who are already in the tree.
‘Detach’ removes that connection without deleting any of the individuals.
For each type of relationship there is a way to Attach or Detach:
- For husband and wife this feature is located in the “Spouses” menu.
- For children it is located in the “Children” menu.
- For parents it is located in the “Parents” menu.
Please read one of the following articles to use Attach /Detach feature for the correct relationship: