When you install a new version of the Family Tree Builder (FTB) program, the program will automatically recognize and find the family tree(s) you were working on. Once FTB recognizes the family tree, it will open the treeand you will be able to continue working on it without any problems.
However, there some cases that you will need to “help” the program to find the FTB file. Here are some tips to help you do that:
1. Use Family Tree Builder to search for the tree. Open the program, click on Open and search for the tree.
This will show you a list of all the family trees you created in Family Tree Builder. Just click once on the family tree you want to open and click Next.
2. Use the Restore Project option to restore a backup saved on your computer. Click on File > Restore Project and select Restore from a file on the disk. Choose the backup according to date.
3. Use the Scan feature to search your entire computer for files. Click on File > Import GEDCOM or genealogy file… Click the Scan button. This will search your computer for all types of genealogy files.
4. Search your PC for *.ZED files (Zipped GEDCOM). This is the special file type of Family Tree Builder files.
5. If FTB still can’t find the family tree after trying the steps above you can download a copy of your published family tree from your family site. Click on File > Restore Project and select Restore from online family site. Select the tree from the list and click Download Now. Once you have the file downloaded, double click to open it. When you open this family tree you will be prompted to restore photos from your family site. (Please note that this option is only available if you have previously published the tree to the website.)