I'm using Family Tree Builder and have both my mother's and father's family in one tree. I'd like to separate these two families now and have 1 tree for each. Can I do this in FTB and include all the notes, pictures, citations, etc. for each tree respectively? Help, my one tree is getting too big!! Thanks.
Hi, I received an answer for this and I'll relay it to you. It is not without some work. Have your family tree open and:
1. Click File, click export GEDCOM
2. Click Save As and name your new tree that you're creating; click next
3. Describe your tree or just click next
4. Click 'Include only Selected People'
5. This is where the work begins; you have to pick out the people you want in this tree, as in all your father's family. I selected one person from each branch within my Dad's side as the pedigree will pick up everyone related to that person in that branch.
6. Click OK then click Next. It will export your pictures in a separate file, if you'd like, but they won't be linked with your people in your tree. You have to re-link them. This is the case with exporting or importing any GEDCOM file. That can involve quite a bit of work if you have a lot of pictures like I did.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help. Just post it on this topic and I'll get an email.